Why become a member? ×

Adding orchestras to classic recordings - Motown now!

casapete

3 hours ago, casapete said:

We're not talking about doing covers here, or taking the tunes and redoing them in a different style. This is using the original recordings and adding things which the (usually) deceased writer / person who recorded it originally presumably has no say in what is being done. It's no doubt down to their family / manager to decide, and why wouldn't they if it's going to make them pots more money? ( As with spongebob's analogy above, would the family of say Matisse give permission for someone to take their work and redo it in the hope of selling more prints? )    Also the danger then is that over time these reworkings obscure the genius that created them and become the accepted versions, denying new listeners the pleasure of hearing them as the artist intended. 

+1 to this. Many of the examples of this practice that I’ve heard have been truly horrific (Roy Orbison ‘I drove all night’ springs to mind). To make it worthwhile they have to make it sufficiently different to the original, but in making it sufficiently different the additions just sounds clumsy to my ears.

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 1

• casapete changed the title to Adding orchestras to classic recordings - Motown now!

Old thread update!

I'm dreading the next in this series - Motown! 

As a lifelong fan of Motown, I'm at a loss as to how this will possibly improve upon the original recordings. Even with the addition of the very well respected Beverley Knight and Mica Paris, I just don't get it at all. Still, Christmas is coming.....

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/motown-symphony-of-soul-royal-philharmonic/

43 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Noooooooooooooooooo!!

The original recordings were perfect, even with all their imperfections. They don't need to be messed around like this.

Absolutely Chris.

I also dread to think what they've done to the original string parts on a lot of the songs. Imagine if you'd been one of the string players on those, and now the RPO are all over it. 😠