Why become a member? ×

Bath, Mustangs and looking daft

NJE

Well folks I think you have me convinced! ?. Got a couple of gigs over Christmas which may help me gather enough funds. I’m off to Cardiff at some point in the next week or two so may have another try out in PMT with a more critical eye to make sure it’s not just one of my fads.

I heard a story about Mike Rutherford once, to the effect that the reason he got together with Steinberger to develop the full bodied Steiny M-series guitar was because one of his kids had told him he looked really stupid playing the cricket-bat version. True or not, still funny xD 

I haven’t even got one Mustang yet and I am already looking for my next one ? I have just rediscovered the Atelier Z Baby Z

They do a PJ and an active version in loads of colours.

baby-z_otm_3.jpg

Edited by NJE

On 12/1/2017 at 20:02, NJE said:

I haven’t even got one Mustang yet and I am already looking for my next one ? I have just rediscovered the Atelier Z Baby Z

They do a PJ and an active version in loads of colours.

baby-z_otm_3.jpg

Ooh, where can you get these?

9 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

Ooh, where can you get these?

They seem to be in plenty of Japanese stores and Bass Japan Direct might be able to source one. They do a lot of variants, just google image search for Atleier Baby Z. Seem to come out around £900 from what I could tell.

@NJE I was there myself yesterday and popped in to this shop, & was drawn straight to the Mustang - definitely an eye-catcher. I'd been reading about the the Justin Meldal-Johnson Signature Series Mustang on bassplayer.com so was interested in how they sound. I play upright mainly but I've got a 3/4 size generic Fender P style that I use to compose or noodle on when I'm sitting on the couch,  and one of these would be very nice.

The Justin Meldal-Johnson signature mustang would be my perfect bass if wasn't for the nasty looking damage inflicted on its finish in an attempt to make it look grotty & unloved. If Fender offered a version that bypassed the psychopath station on the production line, so it looked like a new one would have looked in 1966, I'd be waving a wad of cash in the direction of any shop that had one in stock.

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

The Justin Meldal-Johnson signature mustang would be my perfect bass if wasn't for the nasty looking damage inflicted on its finish in an attempt to make it look grotty & unloved. If Fender offered a version that bypassed the psychopath station on the production line, so it looked like a new one would have looked in 1966, I'd be waving a wad of cash in the direction of any shop that had one in stock.

If you have reverb and or Instagram, check out Jagged Offset Electric. I don't know much about them, but I believe they can make vintage correct Mustang basses as well as various other Fender type guitars. I know you can buy necks and bodies without the hardware on Reverb and they aren't mega bucks.

21 hours ago, NJE said:

If you have reverb and or Instagram, check out Jagged Offset Electric. I don't know much about them, but I believe they can make vintage correct Mustang basses as well as various other Fender type guitars. I know you can buy necks and bodies without the hardware on Reverb and they aren't mega bucks.

I just checked with them, and their full builds are on hold whilst they source where to get vintage correct Mustang bridges from, however they're still making bodies & necks from what I can see.
It seems that a full build would come in at just under £1K

Si

4 hours ago, Sibob said:

I just checked with them, and their full builds are on hold whilst they source where to get vintage correct Mustang bridges from, however they're still making bodies & necks from what I can see.
It seems that a full build would come in at just under £1K

Si

Nicely done, I was actually wondering what they would do about the bridge on a complete build, and actually hadn't seen one finished, so that explains it. £1k doenst seem to bad to be honest, not that I have that kind of money at the moment, but certainly an option for those that don't fancy the JMJ Signature.