Why become a member? ×

Bath, Mustangs and looking daft

NJE

I had a day in Bath yesterday trying to break the back of the festive season shopping. As a spot of luck I walked straight past a new music shop there, Guitarbitz. What a lovely surprise that was, a lovely little shop with friendly staff and more than happy to let me have a try out and chat without any pressure.

Anyway they had a few Fender basses in there at a few price points which was nice. They had a lovely RoadWorn, some squiers, SUB Stingray etc but what caught my eye immediately was the Capri orange Mustang PJ. What a incredibly fun and playable bass and well made for Fender, I was really blown away. I sat and played it for a while, it was so easy to fly around the neck, just sheer joy.

I REALLY want one now, but the only concern I have is that I would look like a weirdo playing one. I am a pretty big chap, height and width (I do like a biscuit with my tea) and I worry that I will just look daft, like a giant playing some kids guitar. Most of the guys I see playing Mustangs are skinny/small hipster types and they don't look out of place on them.

Are there any more 'substantial' members playing mustangs that can alleviate my concerns of looking stupid? or shall I just give up on my Mustang dreams :biggrin: 

Funny my only concern with owning a short scale bass was for the same reason. But look at guys like Pino or Dave Swift who are SO tall they make normal scale basses look like toys! Would you let it put you off playing a guitar?

I had a similar problem with a Warwick-Rockbass Corvette when I first started playing fretless. Lovely bass, great starter for going fretless, but one day a photo turned up on the Facetube of me playing it onstage. They're not even short-scale strictly (32"), but the tiny body made it look a bit silly on me, and I've since moved on to fretless Fenders.

My 8-string is short scale, but I think it looks longer than it is due to the massive headstock the eight tuners require; it definitely feels smaller when I switch mid-set, but I manage to avoid looking daft...

...but on the other hand, if a Daisy Rock Butterfly Bass ever came up on the listings, I would be tempted. Just to prove a point, really.

51 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Funny my only concern with owning a short scale bass was for the same reason. But look at guys like Pino or Dave Swift who are SO tall they make normal scale basses look like toys! Would you let it put you off playing a guitar?

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks about stupid things like this. You are right, Dave and Pino are both very cool individuals and I watched a John Mayer video and he completely dwarfs his strats and doesn't look daft.

No one would think it odd if I picked up a guitar as you say.... hmmm 

I gig with 30" scale basses & I'd suggest you don't worry about what people think. If you like the bass, play it. Most punters won't even notice that you're playing a bass and just see it as a bigger guitar; a mustang bass will look more substantial than whatever the band's guitarist is playing.

Anyone who does say something is probably trying to be a smartarse so can be disregarded.

20 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Anyone who does say something is probably trying to be a smartarse so can be disregarded.

There's one at every gig! 

If you enjoy the bass and think you'll get something from it then get it. I was always told I'd look like a n0b playing a headless body less bass but it sounded amazing and the photographer got loads of great shots, more shots of me with that bass than the first half with my precision. I did play in shorts and hiking sandals though and got rightfully slated for that, but never the bass.

Cheers chaps, I must admit its only a small tiny voice in my brain niggling at this issue, I normally don't give a monkeys about what people think of me or my choice of instrument. I was just curious to see if any other big fellas were proudly hitting the pubs/clubs with their short scales.

On the subject of the bass, I was incredibly impressed with the overall build and feel, they really are doing good things in Mexico. The one I tried had the well known pickup switch issue, (a little intermittent when going between pickups) but by all accounts its a simple fix and a good haggling point for a discount!

Standard 6-string guitars are smaller than that, and if you are a guitarist, you have to play it whatever your size, or how often you visit the salad bar! Remember the band Mammoth?!!

Allen Woody was a big bass player, and he often played an EB3 (now SG) bass. I wouldn't have commented to him about it....!

I am biased, as a shorty player. However, I am pretty slim (for now!) But that makes no odds - play what you like....a Capri Orange Mustang is super-cool, regardless of stature. Rock it, my man! 

Just seen this topic. I popped in Guitarbitz tonight for the first time and my eyes went straight to that Mustang, what a gorgeous looking bass.Unfortunately I didn’t have time to chat or noodle.

Nice stylish shop (it is Bath so should be),although relatively small they have made good use of the space.

I will be back!

@NJEI'm 6ft tall and often play a Mustang bass. Last time I took mine out on a gig, both the drummer and the guitarist complimented me on my sound. Also nobody came up and said, 'Ha! You look stupid with that titchy bass.'

You're right, they are dead easy to play - if it works for you and the price is right, get it!

But 6" would be far too long, surely?

I'm 5'10",  pretty chunky and, before migrating to 5 strings was forced on me, had an array of short scale basses as well as medium scale and long scale.  My favourite was a Squier VM Mustang - something about the tone and playability hit the spot for me.  I didn't think twice about how a small bass looks.  If there comes a time when I sell my 5 strngers I will go straight onto eBay to seek out a Mustang.

When I'm playing acoustic pub jams, I often take my tiny Tanglewood Elfin bass. It's about 25" scale....
I'm 6'  and yes, it does look a bit "toy-like" - but do I care? Nah! ;)
Actually, it's often my backup bass too - surprisingly, it sounds like a full size Precision (don't know what pickups they are, but they sound great)
and it probably only weighs around a kilo..... maybe even less 

22279866_10155851815026095_7165726926290579642_n.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Marc S said:

When I'm playing acoustic pub jams, I often take my tiny Tanglewood Elfin bass. It's about 25" scale....
I'm 6'  and yes, it does look a bit "toy-like" - but do I care? Nah! ;)
Actually, it's often my backup bass too - surprisingly, it sounds like a full size Precision (don't know what pickups they are, but they sound great)
and it probably only weighs around a kilo..... maybe even less 

22279866_10155851815026095_7165726926290579642_n.jpg

That's a great picture!

• Thanks 1