Why become a member? ×

The most musically talented musician of all time

Toddy17

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

OK. Name some women who fit into the most musically talented category.

Part of the problem is, like with the original question, "the most musically talented man of all time".

It's really only in very recent times that it's been considered acceptable for women to forge a career in music, either as a musician or a composer, for instance craddock Mandelson, she often published under her more famous brother's name. 

Jaqueline DePres is one female musician that I’ve always particularly admired.

In the avant-garde you have Eliane Radigue, an electronic music pioneer who worked with the late Pierre Henry.  Delia Derbyshire from the BBC Radiophonic workshop, and composer of the doctor who theme. Another electronic music pioneer Pauline Oliveros who began playing music at a ridiculously early age, and later developed some lovely concepts about soundscape and listening.

In musical performance you have Maria Callas for instance, and a whole load of more contemporary artists, Carol Kay instantly springs to mind. 

Edited by ambient

Its a bit of a difficult one. Musically talented in what way? A virtuoso on one instrument? A songwriter? A producer and arranger? Or an all round musician?

Stevie Wonder and Prince spring to my mind If all round musician/composer/producer is the idea. Not a huge fan of there output but their talent cant be denied.

Closely followed by Bob Blackman. What that guy could do with a tea tray. Genius.

6 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I think Bach. I remember hearing he could improvise entire fugues which means playing stanzas forward, backwards, upside down etc (the stanza, not the performer!!).

As for contemporary musician, I haven't much of an idea really.

I'd agree that Bach must have been at least one of the most musically talented musicians ever, but as to improvising fugues, that's actually an ability that he shared with thousands of others - not me, btw, but I do know a guy who, already as an organ student, could do it and make it all the way through the stretto at the end - the very place where most of us students would stumble and fail.

That said, Bach was huge - almost otherworldly. Though I do not really know how much of that was talent and how much was hard work, I do feel that only a combination of both can lead to this enormous quality over such a long career.

Well there've been ziillions  of virtuosos , a few very famous and most known to a few or who have toiled away in obscurity. So I'd say we have to speak of those who are all rounders, i.e. have a back catalogue of highly acclaimed albums that they've written and produced by themselves, who've shifted loads of units and who are  highly accomplished on several instruments.  So, I don't know.

I'm more interested in those who are not only accomplished in music but who've excelled in other areas. One great example is Alexander Borodin who was not only a leading composer in is day but was no slouch as a pioneering chemist. Dude!

21 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm more interested in those who are not only accomplished in music but who've excelled in other areas. One great example is Alexander Borodin who was not only a leading composer in is day but was no slouch as a pioneering chemist. Dude!

Maybe Joseph Pujol ? Apart from playing his Ocarina through his Anus, he was principal Farteur at The Moulin Rouge (Le Pétomane). 

Here he is during his act. Thankfully, a silent movie.

8 hours ago, Japhet said:

In modern times I'd say Prince. Could play anything and do it exceptionally well. Wrote all sorts of music, sang, danced, did choreography and produced. Phenominal talent.

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Prince. No question at all in my mind. How many people can claim to have single-handedly produced, arranged, composed AND performed many of their finest works?

The man could play virtually everything and could make 'em all groove...

Go back and listen to any of his work...guaranteed to blow your mind.

Women?  Maria Schneider is an incredible talent. Mary Laughs Williams,  Nadir Boulanger (not sure of the spelling).

How about Richard Bona? Pat '17 Grammys' Metheny? Or the new kid on the block, Jacob Collier? There are so many, it is impossible to choose. As for Prince and Michael Jackson. Entertainers, yes, but most musically talented? Can't see it. 

How about George Martin? I don't think L&M would have been half as lauded without him. 

Steve Morse? Listen to the genre busting Dixie Dregs. John Paul Jones, a massive talent over and above his bass playing.

I am grateful that I haven't got to choose