Why become a member? ×

1st rehearsal cancelled !!!

dmccombe7

I played in a 70's cover band last year doing the caravan parks and it was so weird playing a large function hall while kids were running about the dance floor altho it became all adults as the night wore on but it just didn't feel right.

I want people to come along to see the band and not a band just being a replacement for a jukebox if that makes sense. I just don't thing people are really bothered who the band is as long as you play well.

If you are a covers or originals band doing the rounds then most people are there to see the band.

I also didn't really enjoy the songs i was being asked to play. All a bit boring for me.

Dave

I can relate to that totally, I'm not sure I could get up  stage and play music I dnt actually like. Bit short sighted of me possibly and may exclude me from ever becoming a 'jobbing' bassist, but to be perfectly honest I'm not sure Id ever want to be.

If I was a young thing just starting out then maybe, but I'm a grumpy old tw*t :)

• Haha 1

There are quite a few songs that I don't really like, in that I wouldn't listen to them myself, but only a couple that I don't really like playing. And that is because there are 4 of us, and there are some songs I really like that the others are not so keen on.

I am also a grumpy old tw*t , but I know that not everything is about me, and that as long as you are up on the deal and get more enjoyment then annoyance, all is good :D 

Think i'm probably with you on that Sprocketflup. Its not for me. Playing is purely a hobby i enjoy as and when it suits me.

I don't want to be playing 2 or 3 times a week. I left a band last year after few months because i found it just too much.. They did T.Rex tribute and 70's Glam Rock covers depending on the audience or booking request. All just a bit too much. 34 songs learned in 3 weeks and half way thru that they told me half were in different keys and no rehearsals before the first gig due to singers father passing away. I didn't want to let them down especially under the circumstances so I did the gigs and then they wanted me to learn a 2nd set of completely different songs within 10 days. Nope that's not enjoyment i'm afraid and had to say no.

I was their 17th bassist in 10yrs ......mmmm wonder why LOL

Great bunch of guys tho and i still keep in touch and have even been asked to dep with them recently.

Dave