Why become a member? ×

Epiphone thunderbird

mentalextra

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, just returned one to gear4music as it arrived with a damaged neck! Just waiting on refund. I note that this one has the strap button behind the neck, whereas I have seen other photos of new models with the strap button on the top wing of the body? Does anybody know why/which is preferable? Bradford isn't too far away from me.

40 minutes ago, V2factoryman said:

Hmmm, just returned one to gear4music as it arrived with a damaged neck! Just waiting on refund. I note that this one has the strap button behind the neck, whereas I have seen other photos of new models with the strap button on the top wing of the body? Does anybody know why/which is preferable? Bradford isn't too far away from me.

If the one you got from Gear4Music had the strap button on the top wing it was the first version of Epiphone Thunderbird with the bolt on neck. The one in the link above has a through neck and Gibson pickups and is light years ahead of the old bolt on version, it's also the newest model available in the UK at the moment, though it is soon to be replaced by the Vintage Pro, when they finally decide to get their fingers out..

• Like 1

Thanks. The one I got was the new design with through neck and I never got to "wear" it as the neck had been so badly damaged in transit I daren't even try to tune it! The strap nut was by the heel of the neck, the same as the one in the link. I've seen photos of the new Vintage Pro and that has the nut in the same place. I've heard some demos of the VP and for me it sounds a bit "overdriven" (unless it's the rig), so I'm hoping the Classic IV is a bit more refined. I had a Gibson Thunderbird years ago and it was really "thuddy" (think I just invented that word lol), poor sustain, and terrible neck dive. Looked really cool though! I've heard these Epi's are just as good as the new Gibsons. 

Its a very good punt. These days, Gibson seem to be putting more stock and effort into epiphone than Gibsons, almost making the Gibsons purposefully crap. The epiphone thunderbirds sound spot on in a band mix.

Saying that, the only real new Gibson ive had was a Novaselic sig bass, and it was pretty good, besides the fact that the pickup adjustment screw sheared when i tried to lower the pickup.