Why become a member? ×

"Brightest" strings on the market

cLepto-bass

Hi all,

I suppose it depends on how you define it but I am after advice on super bright tonality strings. I am not sure how to describe it but I want super twangy, crisp, buzzy, clicky, strings. I want strings that really bring out all the fret buzz and fingering nuances if possible. 

Currently use the D'Addario  Pro Steels but they don't seem to stay bright for too long so does anyone have a recommendation?

Cheers.

No - although Mark at Bassdirect can order them for you. He orders me a 4 string set with individual B strings as my basses sound best 40-100 with a 125 on the B. Although keep your eye on Amazon as there are some DR deals to be found now and again... so you could go for a 6 string set to get your 5 strings for example... if you think the price is right... https://www.amazon.co.uk/DR-Strings-Hi-Beam-Stainless-Medium/dp/B001AWUW1O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511873407&sr=8-2&keywords=dr+hi+beams+6+string

Edited by EBS_freak

1 hour ago, uzzell said:

Hi all,

I suppose it depends on how you define it but I am after advice on super bright tonality strings. I am not sure how to describe it but I want super twangy, crisp, buzzy, clicky, strings. I want strings that really bring out all the fret buzz and fingering nuances if possible. 

Currently use the D'Addario  Pro Steels but they don't seem to stay bright for too long so does anyone have a recommendation?

Cheers.

I think I'll come at this from a different angle. Pro Steels are definitely one of the brightest sets of strings out there. Now, I used to think that strings didn't stay bright for me for very long, but it wasn't the fault of the strings. My hand sweat etc killed strings after long gigs under hot lights etc. For a while when we were busy I was changing strings nearly every gig!

So, rather than looking for even brighter strings, maybe look at ways of stopping these from going dead so quickly. If you can handle a 'little less bright' then you should absolutely give coated strings a go. D'Addario do their own non-tacky strings that will try to keep the sweat out of the windings. They will sound more consistent for longer. The other thing you can do of course is to keep your hands dry between songs. Wipe down the strings if you need to as well. I don't know if you can still get it, but I used to use a rub in sport 'grip' powder throughout the hottest of summer gigs which really helped to keep not only my fingers dry but also my palms too. I used to leave gigs absolutely drenched back then, but I needed up saving my strings; they stayed bright longer. - I'm a lot less animated these days ha ha.

Anyway, just a few thoughts and you never know if you find a solution, you'll change strings less and that will save you money in the long run! 

Good points there Dood, I find that most strings lose that initial brightness quickly, and I`m in the camp of being able to put up with partially killed strings, so maybe going less bright but staying like that for longer  is the way to go. Will have to give it a try methinks.

• Thanks 1

I really wanted to like Dunlop superbrights,but i found the tone rather bland (IMO of course) although they are very flexible and bright they just didn't sound as rich in the lows for fingerstyle as DR's.

Dood is spot on though! I wipe my strings with "fast fret" after every rehearsal/gig :)

• Thanks 1

I found the super brights a little disappointing too. I think that people got caught up in the pricing of them when they first came out... I found them spongy. I actually have switched from Hi Beams to Lo Riders. They are basically Hi Beams with higher tension - so they are also worth investigating if you prefer your string tension a little higher.... although if you aren't using a low B, then this may not be as important to you (although having said that, I prefer the higher tension across all my strings)

18 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

If you are into longevity, then Elixir Stainless may be what you are looking for.

+1 my Schecter shipped with Elixirs, and they were almost as bright as a fresh set of Rotosound Swing Bass when I bought it. Said brightness definitely lasted - I only took them off so I had a fresh set of strings to record an album, but I regret not hanging onto them.

Ill go against the grain and say Superbrights are my favourite string at the moment and are on all my basses, flexible, punchy and a fantastic blend of warmth and brightness, with no breaking in period, they last ages too. However, they are nickel and I have different tone aims in mind maybe.

Hi Beams are sickeningly bright, give them a go!