Why become a member? ×

MXR Phase 90 vs. Phase 95

radiophonic

So basically I've run out of pedal board and I have Phase 90 perched precariously on the back. Question is whether a more compact pedal could do the job and the 95 seems like the obvious place to start. The important thing to add is that I only use it for one very specific type of sound: Rate set to a very low sweep to add a bit of movement.  I don't go for that watery warble effect and I specifically got a P90 in preference to the 4 stage sound on a Boss. It's that sound. How close can I get and is the 95 the way to do it? Opinions appreciated.

As far as I could tell from reading up on it and listening to demos, the 95 does both the script and block versions (lower and higher resonance respectively) of both the (4-stage) 90 and the (2-stage) 45.

The only reason I didn’t go for it was that the 95 is not true bypass. (I bought both a block and script 90 instead, and it’s cool running them in series.)

Edited by Quatschmacher

Ive been after a 95 for a while as i love my phase 90 but really want a script version and my boards a bit crowded (I'm trying really hard not to get a bigger board) this looks ideal!! The sounds didn't really sound night and day in this demo though.

Q! I thought the block and script phase 90's weren't true bypass as well :)

42 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Q! I thought the block and script phase 90's weren't true bypass as well :)

I’d read conflicting statements. Says true bypass in my user manuals (and that is clearly absent from the 95 user manual and that of the EVH model).  Though I’ve read that there are different things meant by “true bypass” and “true hardwire bypass”.

Maybe I should’ve gone for the 95. The script/block difference is definitely noticeable to me. (It’s the same as turning the resonance Q/knob up on other filters). It makes more difference to me in the extreme slow and fast sweeps. The block pedal sounds fantastic in the low speeds but messy in the fast (it also has a noticeably faster top speed than the script pedal). The script sounds really good at faster speeds as the peaks are more subtle. It’s not as dramatic at lower speeds as the block but is still a great sound.

After taking delivery of a bass Chorus Deluxe I think I'll be looking at moving on my phase in the new year to get a phase 95! BTW the phase 99 is pretty great too :)

im guessing the phase 95 is a reaction to the mooer orange 60 which does block and script! would be curious to compare the two.

Edited by lee650

My block version is true bypass, I expect the older ones aren’t but I bought mine new about 3 years ago.

Check reviews first, I’m sure I read one somewhere that said this pedal wasn’t as good as expected for some reason...

Original sounds better to me here, somewhat thicker and warmer:

(read comment by bumble yeti on this vid who agrees)

Edited by dannybuoy

Phase 90 has better specifications. I suspect also better components...

MXR Phase 95 SPECIFICATIONS

Input Impedance 800 kΩ

Output Impedance < 6 kΩ

Max Input Level -8 dBV

Max Output Level 8 dBV

Noise Floor* -95 dBV

Speed Range 0.125 Hz to 10 Hz

Power Requirements 8 mA @ 9VDC

MXR Phase 90 SPECIFICATIONS
Input Impedance 1 MΩ
Output Impedance 10 kΩ
Nominal Intput Level -20 dBV