Why become a member? ×

Self confessed pleb

Barking Spiders

44 minutes ago, chris_b said:

In the late 60's, my Mum and Dad had tickets for a night of Strauss Viennese waltzes (conductor Willi Boskovsky) at the Albert Hall and Dad had to drop out at the last moment, so I went instead.

I had pretty sturdy blinkers on in those days and was dreading it but discovered that a Viennese orchestra in full flow was a magnificent sound.

I haven't been to another but I came home glad I'd been there.

Agreed. I was working at the City Hall in Newcastle as a steward and one night there was a full symphony orchestra on. It was magic. The volume and dynamics were jaw dropping, to me, for acoustic instruments. Enjoyed the whole experience, but like you never felt I needed to repeat it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Coilte said:

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. There was nothing to indicate that your statement was meant to be light hearted. 

Yes indeed, some people often think of jazz as being for older people, but that's not always the case. I myself have been a jazz fan since the age of fifteen...almost fifty years ago !!! Lots of jazz gigs that I attend, have a varied age group with a fair smattering of twenty to thirty year olds. So IMO, the old adage that  "jazz is for the elders"  is no longer valid. 

You seem to give the impression that your musical taste(s) should follow a certain criteria. Like ...when I get to X age I should be listening to Y music. In some cases this naturally happens, but as I said...you like what you like.

Simple as that !!;) 

The fact I referred to myself as a pleb could indicated  the thread isn't meant for earnest discussion

On 28/11/2017 at 09:28, Barking Spiders said:

Once I got past 40 I thought I'd try and 'mature' my music tastes by learning to appreciate classical and jazz. So I got hold of a job lot of CDs, started tuning into Classic FM and Jazz FM and see where it took me. For a while I stuck with it even making myself sit through some turgid Mahler symphony and going to some events at Cheltenham Jazz Festival.  However, try hard as I did I just can't get into either. I quite like a fewer shorter pieces of CM usually 'obvious' popular tunes like Barber's Adagio and Satie's Gymnopedies,  and some jazz influenced stuff like Saint  Germain and Down To The Bone but that's it. Just wondering if others here have got to a certain age and thought that praps they'd give CM and jazz a go but have not really taken to either.

Okay... you've got a foot in the door... explore from that point.

I did exactly the same but at a younger age and found myself hating a lot of music I was forcing myself to listen to because it was never really intended to be listened to by someone coming in cold to the genre. It was only when I found music I liked and explored from there that I got it.

You like Satie's Gymnopedies... try his Gnossienes

Satie didn't exist in isolation... there were other people writing music that was influenced by him and that influenced him. Debussy and Ravel for example... try some of their stuff.

56 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

The fact I referred to myself as a pleb could indicated  the thread isn't meant for earnest discussion

That's the problem with the Internet.

You put a subject up and then have to watch while it morphs into something totally alien and takes on a life of its own. One that you never anticipated or wanted and then you find out there's no way of controlling it.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

That's the problem with the Internet.

You put a subject up and then have to watch while it morphs into something totally alien and takes on a life of its own. One that you never anticipated or wanted and then you find out there's no way of controlling it.

But doesn't that frequently happen in real life??

On 11/28/2017 at 10:11, Coilte said:

.....BTW...where did you get the notion that jazz and classical music were "mature" musical tastes. ? O.o  Music is music. Some appeals to you, some does not. Simple as that. 

Yep, in complete agreement there Coilte
Though I suppose "The Wheels On The Bus" and "Agadoo" are not particularly mature.....

• Haha 1