Why become a member? ×

D'Addario EXP coated strings

casapete

• 2 weeks later...

I'd used D'Addario's for a looong time and had gradually migrated to Elixirs on all my basses.  Honestly have nothing bad to say about D'Addario, but for me longevity is a major thing and claims the Elixirs lasted up to six times longer than conventional strings was the thinking behind moving to them.  I don't feel any coating when I'm playing and the sets on my main two basses that have been on for 10 and 9 months.

I might give EXPs a go...£35 for a set EXP170-5SL is worth a punt.

My experience of Elixirs is that they feel a bit dead from the off, but then don’t get any worse for ages, which I guess is inevitable with the coating and the general design brief for longer lasting strings.

Was just wondering if the EXP’s feel brighter at all and manage to retain this. Going to give them a bash I think. Will report back, may be some time though ?

8 minutes ago, casapete said:

My experience of Elixirs is that they feel a bit dead from the off, but then don’t get any worse for ages, which I guess is inevitable with the coating and the general design brief for longer lasting strings.

Was just wondering if the EXP’s feel brighter at all and manage to retain this. Going to give them a bash I think. Will report back, may be some time though ?

Just as an addendum to this, despite Elixirs being on both basses for so long, they still retain a distinct brightness; they've never really gone off.  I'd say there's a slight dropoff in zing that you get from any string really, but once that happens they remain stable for a very long time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 09/12/2017 at 15:05, NancyJohnson said:

Just as an addendum to this, despite Elixirs being on both basses for so long, they still retain a distinct brightness; they've never really gone off.  I'd say there's a slight dropoff in zing that you get from any string really, but once that happens they remain stable for a very long time.

Yes, this is my experience too. It's why I like them so much.

I thought I'd give EXPs a go; I do love my Elixirs but then again I always liked D'Add nickels, so the coated ones could be the best of both worlds..? 

No. One month in and the buggers are already as dead as Julius Caesar, and it's not like it's been a busy bloody month either. Back on the Elixirs for me.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Yes, this is my experience too. It's why I like them so much.

I thought I'd give EXPs a go; I do love my Elixirs but then again I always liked D'Add nickels, so the coated ones could be the best of both worlds..? 

No. One month in and the buggers are already as dead as Julius Caesar, and it's not like it's been a busy bloody month either. Back on the Elixirs for me.

Rich, are you pressing the string down a little on the p'up side when fitting ?(giving a nice contact angle on the saddle) I used to get strings dying quick too until I learnt this install tip.