Why become a member? ×

identify my bass!

tbglp2001

A quick search on the world's favourite search engine suggests that this is most likely a late -70's P Bass copy made/imported by Hohner. I found a very similar one listed as being dated to1978 (with a question mark) in an on-line bass guitar museum.

With regards parts, I'd dare say most P bass clone parts will fit.  It doesn't look like there's a recess carved for the bridge.  Could well be able to buy a loaded plate and transfer across from one that plate to yours.  I say that because the scratch-plate would likely not have the same holes as the donor.

Edited by Tonteee
  • Like 1

It's an early 80s Hohner, made by Cort in Korea.

Up to about '81 or '82 Hohners were Japanese, made by Moridaira, but manufacture of these types of instrument moved to Korea in the late 70s/early 80s due to rising production costs in Japan, and the move by the Japanese guitar industry towards higher-end original designs. This bass probably pre-dates the mid 80s Hohner Professional range by a couple of years.

Always liked the bog-seat saddles & abalone inlays on the MIK Hohners.

• Like 1

On 27/11/2017 at 17:31, Pea Turgh said:

The only experience I had with a Hohner bass was a boat anchor of a P about 22 years ago. That had the Fender type headstock shape though.

I had a Hohner Rockwood (?) Precision copy about 18 years ago, my first ever instrument. I remember it fondly and it did sound good but yeh cavity for the pots and jack were cut too big so the pickguard would flap about when I plugged it in. I still kept that big slab even when I got something better. Only recently sold it on after keeping it in a case for about 5 years!

It looks a lot like my "Talmus Precision Bass Series I", a Spanish branded import from around 1980. It has a laminated body and the neck is as thick as it should. After all these years the neck is fine, but the frets need some work done. I was thinking of drefetting it, but I still play it from time to time. The original electronics were really bad quality, and it weights close to 5 Kg, but its fun to play.

These are pictures taken a couple of years ago, when I was changing the pickups and electronics, again. The pickguard is covered with a cheap vinyl sheet. The pickup in the picture is taken from a Fenix PJ Deluxe. It has a nice piano sound. Someday I will add the J pickup which is somewhere in a box.

DSC_5908_redmod.JPG

DSC_6248_rdmod.JPG