Why become a member? ×

Hello from Spain!

dasitor

Hello! I have been using basschat as a source of information for some time now. I decided to register because of the yellow-note on the home page :)

I started playing bass in the 1980s. I did not care much about brands and stuff at that time, I was too busy playing and writing music, just as it should be! But I remember a Samick Jazz and a crappy Precision-type thing, among others. Then in the 1990s I got a Fender Jazz MIM fretless, which I traded for an Ibanez SR800 fretless, which I feel is built much better. Then I stopped playing for about 10 years. A few years back I picked it up again. Now I have the SR800FL and a Fernandes FRB100, plus several cheap basses I have bought here and there for testing parts and modding.

I tried playing jazz, but I just can't :(  . Also tried Death Metal, which is fun. But I think my style lies somewhere in the middle, if it means anything.

Thank you for keeping up this site!

• Like 2

Welcome Dasitor.

I feel the same way about jazz, i.e. 'I can't'.  With me it is more a case of I won't.

No disrespect to jazzers but Dame Cleo's scat put me off.  If a large woman got up and did that while I was playing I'd be mortified.

You'll have some interesting stories if you've been modding.  Have you seen the Build Diaries yet?

Thank you!

Yes, I checked the Build Diaries, but my projects are far less complex: my main tools are a 10 cm wood file and a solderer :)

About my jazz experience: There was a small jazz trio (drums, trumpet and piano) playing every Friday night near where I live. One day I approached them and they told me that they needed a bassist. "But my skills are limited", I said. "Don't worry. You'll learn as you play", said the pianist. "OK. When are you rehearsing?" "Oh, we don't. We practice at home, and then we meet here each Friday. Come close and watch what we play. That way you'll learn our repertoire."

Edited by dasitor
I have not finish!

It turned out really impossible to do it that way, because they played differently each time. I could not really follow.

Finally I convinced the drummer to meet once a week to practice, just the two of us. And it was a disaster: "Let the music flow! Just play as you feel!", he kept saying, while constantly changing the pattern and playing fill after fill...

My theoretical knowledge was/is very limited and the learning curve was not really a curve but a giant cliff.

Hello dasitor,
Glad you joined in, and didn't just observe from a distance
BC is much more fun, and much more useful as a resource, if you're a member. I feel it's far better to be able to post questions and answers, and join in topics more

I too gave up playing, but for an even longer spell than you - over 20 years actually! :o
Still, never mind - we are both playing bass again

Welcome to BassChat
Marc

On 28/11/2017 at 11:57, Marc S said:

[..]

I too gave up playing, but for an even longer spell than you - over 20 years actually! :o
Still, never mind - we are both playing bass again

When I started playing again, my fingers felt wooden and lacking any feeling. It took about three months to gain a bit of strength and confidence. It has been two/three years now and I have made much progress (not saying much really), but I am still quite lost regarding theory.

Thank you all for your welcome!

14 hours ago, dasitor said:

When I started playing again, my fingers felt wooden and lacking any feeling. It took about three months to gain a bit of strength and confidence. It has been two/three years now and I have made much progress (not saying much really), but I am still quite lost regarding theory.

Thank you all for your welcome!

Ahhh, theory.  I have a theory about being lost in music;