Why become a member? ×

Best compressor pedal?

mattbass6

Diamond BCP-1 Bass Comp. Use the supplied PSU and you won't get problems. If you want a pedal that's going to do bog-standard, behind-the-scenes remedial compression in a completely transparent way then it's probably not for you. But if you want a pedal that makes your bass sound super-lush while reigning in the more outrageous spikes and troughs in your playing then there's nothing better.

If you want transparency, choose the Mxr. The Cali76cb if you play a low B string occasionaly (it has a hpf that keeps the comp from squashing lows)

If you want aggressive slap punch, get the Aguilar. It is awesome for that.

If you want buttery sweetness, the diamond or supersymmetry.

Digital compressors? Stay away from those.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

If you want transparency, choose the Mxr. The Cali76cb if you play a low B string occasionaly (it has a hpf that keeps the comp from squashing lows)

If you want aggressive slap punch, get the Aguilar. It is awesome for that.

If you want buttery sweetness, the diamond or supersymmetry.

Digital compressors? Stay away from those.

Ahh...am starting to see why a 'non slapper' such as @Osiris was consistently so down on the Aggie TLC (which I found to be excellent, and also very transparent and lacking noise btw) and have recently moved to a far worthier home to sit alongside a rig that I can only drool over (in particular including an Aggie DB751 head!) and where the new owner seems equally delighted with it. 

The compression sims on my Zoom B3n frankly do sweet nothing in relation to providing decent compression for slap; I'm hoping the ones on my MS-60B will be an improvement.

3 hours ago, discreet said:

Diamond BCP-1 Bass Comp. Use the supplied PSU and you won't get problems. If you want a pedal that's going to do bog-standard, behind-the-scenes remedial compression in a completely transparent way then it's probably not for you. But if you want a pedal that makes your bass sound super-lush while reigning in the more outrageous spikes and troughs in your playing then there's nothing better.

Man, that is one yellow pedal xD Just watched the demo though and looks very interesting. Thank you :) 

On 28/11/2017 at 13:18, Al Krow said:

The compression sims on my Zoom B3n frankly do sweet nothing in relation to providing decent compression for slap; I'm hoping the ones on my MS-60B will be an improvement.

I was told that the compression sims are the same on B3n, MS-60B and B1ON so it will be very interesting if there is any difference.

I've been using an MXR M87. If I was looking now, I'd be looking at the Keeley Compressor Pro (not the Bassist) which has the controls for attack, release, threshold, compression and make-up gain that you need, and decent monitoring.

A cheaper way to achieve the same thing might be a used 19" rack studio compressor - I have Phonic that came off the ads here which does everything you could want and cost a lot less than a new pedal - just depends if you want to cart a 19" rack case around. If you're already using a rack case and have a spare slot, and you're looking for always-on compression it's a good solution.

Somewhere on this site are some awesome postings by 51m0n on the subject. They used to be in the Wiki when there was a Wiki (will that ever come back I wonder?) , maybe a good test to see if the new search engine is any better than using google.

Do you want it to colour your sound? - this is not necessarily a bad thing, an EBS Multicomp will add some edge (Timmy C uses one) for example. If you want something transparent to bring out the tone of your instrument then the Super Symmetry is probably as good as ytou’re Going to get in a stomp box. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2017 at 12:05, pete.young said:

... I'd be looking at the Keeley Compressor Pro (not the Bassist) which has the controls for attack, release, threshold, compression and make-up gain that you need, and decent monitoring.

Don't forget hard and soft knee and the auto mode where it sets attack and release automagically. I have one, great piece of kit. Not the cheapest option.

On 28/11/2017 at 12:07, mattbass6 said:

You're a star. Thanks bud ;)

PS On a separate note, don't forget to send me all the details as discussed with Alice :) 

Oh look! There he is ha!

if a single knob doesn’t float your boat, well, I use the Hyper Gravity Mini too which has all of the same tweakability but you can assign the three controls to do whatever you want.

I was in the same position as you, and after playing as many compressor as I could get my hands on I went for the Cali76 CB. I don’t regret it for a second. It’s expensive but it’s worth every penny!  The High Pass Filter and the dry blend is what really stands this compressor out from the crowd. I am very happy with it, and would highly recommend!

Does anyone know if you can get a close emulation of a the Cali with the Spectracomp? Not so much copy it, just get that magical effect it produces. I had a quick play with a Cali CB last night,  and although I’m still on the fence about using Comps i felt it was nicer than anything ive got from my Spectracomp. Addmimitaly ive not got to grips with actually programming the Spectracomp, but I’m sure someone has (Dan;-).

Ive decided to get rid of my Spectracomp and get a Cli76 CB,  as that one knob pedal is  just too complicated lol.

I know the Spectracomp is one of the most highly configurable pedal comps out there, but only if you have other equipment with you. Its useless for tweaking on the fly IME, and just not user friendly without some forethought. Ive been using mine for a few months and its doing ok, but i realised i wasn't making any adjustments other than the one knob and just living with what it was set to do when its plugged in. Im not a big fan of knob tweaking when gigging, but i do find having the ability to do it makes life easier.

Ive also changed my phone to an iphone 8+, and cant get the Tone print function to work like it did/does on my old phone.

Anyway, after playing the a Calif76 the other night ill be getting one before the end of the year.

On 20/12/2017 at 00:04, Briton said:

I think that is mainly for guitar dood!

If you are looking to use Toneprints the Hyper Gravity has only one Toneprint for Bass available, whereas the Spectracomp has numerous so that could be a determining factor.

The HG loses no bottom end in use and using the TP editor can do everything the SC can, however I do agree that if you don’t know where to start and want to use TonePrints, you are limited, so good call there.

• 2 months later...

Someone has already mention the EBS multicomp and I have the studio version but have to say also had technical difficulties. Took it back to the shop and the owner went off to get another one while I tried a few other compressors. Some were more expensive but I hated them all. The owner came back with another Multicomp which had the same problem to a lesser degree. He went off to get a third unit while I continued not to like any of the others. When the third arrived it worked great and I was grateful to take it as its simplicity, transparency, tube setting, and split signal compression gave me everything I needed without having to search for it.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:46, LewisK1975 said:

Here you go matey

@dood - that is an amazing video - you spend ages reading on forums about what the pedal can do and how it works ... but to have a decent player make a high quality video about it is just what I want. I enjoy the fact that you reveiew stuff and talk about what you want rather than sounding ike you're reading the marketing speil. Thanks :) 

Edited by LukeFRC
spelling

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

@dood - that is an amazing video - you spend ages reading on forums about what the pedal can do and how it works ... but to have a decent player make a high quality video about it is just what I want. I enjoy the fact that you reveiew stuff and talk about what you want rather than sounding ike you're reading the marketing spiel. Thanks :) 

Thank you indeed, I really do appreciate your words greatly! Can I quote you for my ‘testimonials’ on my FB Page? You’ve hit the nail on the head. I love doing these reviews and I feel lucky I suppose that I’m allowed to say it ‘how it is’. This one for example I chose to do a technical review because so many others had focussed on the simple stuff online. As it happens this and the HyperGravity Mini are two of my favourite compressors. My Nova Dynamics being the third! 

Cheers, :)

Dan

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dood said:

Thank you indeed, I really do appreciate your words greatly! Can I quote you for my ‘testimonials’ on my FB Page? You’ve hit the nail on the head. I love doing these reviews and I feel lucky I suppose that I’m allowed to say it ‘how it is’. This one for example I chose to do a technical review because so many others had focussed on the simple stuff online. As it happens this and the HyperGravity Mini are two of my favourite compressors. My Nova Dynamics being the third! 

Cheers, :)

Dan

sure if you want. I've just corrected the spelling of Speil! :) 

The "how it is" combined with passion is really watchable - I've sat and watched Alex Claber talk for 30 min plus on a cab I'm never going to be able to afford/need just cos his passion, combined with knowledge, is really interesting.