Why become a member? ×

Hi-fi loudspeaker kit

Balcro

My venerable home built hi-fi speakers are to be replaced as it's a big x?0 birthday coming up.

Nearly vintage hi-fi parts - well, late 70's - and all in good working order. Of late, they've been used about
2 or 3 times in a year. For lovers of something different, the drive units are a Shackman Electrostatic kit comprising of a Shackman Electrostatic mids/tweeter and an 8" Dalesford D.50 bass unit. Go search them out on the internet. I can provide a data sheet on the Dalesford.

At the moment the bass unit is installed in a 30 litre box distributed-port cabinet and the electrostatic unit is mounted in a semi-open enclosure on top of the box. The crossover which operates @ about 500Hz, is incorporated onto the power supply board for the electrostatic unit. Yes, this thing is powered from the mains and has high voltages, so will need to be protected. Use of a small soldering iron will be needed. The bass unit will work in a much smaller cabinet if necessary and even in a closed - non-ported - cabinet.

If you look at this video - (it's not mine) the electrostatic units are the small silvery curved things (about 8x6) on top of the other speakers.

The overall sound is very clean with minimal colouration. Efficiency is low at about 84dBa per 1w, but the bass goes down a long way. It's not a party machine.

** It's yours, free to a good home for collection from SG1 or otherwise for the cost of postage & packing. As I'm "off-sick" at the moment, the kit won't be available until mid-December.

PS. If you search on youtube for "Shackman Electrostatic" then scroll down the list until you come to the entry SRV, click on this for an aural treat.

Edited by Balcro
restore text from behind the video

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello fiatcoupe432,

Sorry, "adledman" got there first followed by one other. I hope to have the second half the kit removed from the enclosure in this coming week, but unless "adledman" changes his mind then I have to acknowledge him as first person to request the kit.

Regards,

Balcro.

• MB1 locked this topic