Why become a member? ×

Teeny tiny amps - any use?

Ajoten

I need a little practice amp to take the place of my acoustic bass - so doesn't need to be any louder really, playing-along-with-the-stereo volume. It needs to be small so I can whip it out from behind the sofa kinda thing.

Are these Blackstar Fly or Eden Micro Tour amps worth considering or are they just gimmicky daft?

40 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I use my Barefaced One10 and my regular gigging Aguilar TH500 with the volume right down.

It's the size of a couple of big packets of Shreddies and gives a better tone than any other small rig I've used.

I agree.  I use a one10 and GK MB200.  It sounds superb.

I do like the idea of one of the small PJB combos but I can't justify the cost given that the one10/MB200 is perfect for home practice.

Back to being sensible - the older Fender Rumble 15 sounds great at home volumes and is cheap as chips.  I've seen them at £20 to £40.

Frank.

2 minutes ago, machinehead said:

. . . . the older Fender Rumble 15 sounds great at home volumes and is cheap as chips.  I've seen them at £20 to £40.

I agree, at that price a Rumble 15 would be hard to pass up. Probably wouldn't fit behind the sofa though.

My kids have grown up and I'm not as cash strapped as I was, so these days I fully support the "Life is too short for bad tone" approach.

I recently got a Micro cube rx secondhand for £100 to use for acoustic rehearsals and home practice. I'm very pleased with it - sounds fantastic with all my basses even the Kala u-bass and NS-design CR-5M, and is much louder than the spec suggests it would be. The documentation said that rechargable batteries wouldn't work, but they do - I'm using 6 eneloop AAs and they last for days.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 22:12, Ajoten said:

Are these Blackstar Fly or Eden Micro Tour amps worth considering or are they just gimmicky daft?

I have the Blackstar, loud enough with my passive J to keep up with two acoustic guitars and a cajon :)

get the extension speaker for more oomph 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2017 at 00:20, ped said:

Indeed they are quite loud and full sounding. 

I modded mine a bit by taking the badges off the grille (one rattled) and took off the plastic corner protectors. Looks rather neat. 

F525DE26-FAA7-49C2-A5C0-F09CB7B2BDA5.jpeg

Looks like a full gigging rig for an elf.

• Haha 2

On 2017-11-27 at 23:32, Dazed said:

My go to reply is the PJB Doublefour - 75 watts, very transparent, in a shoe box size package. 

+ on that! The ones you mentioned in your initial post are toys; this is a real bass amp, yet tiny...

bg-75-red-front-2.jpg

Edited by bassmayhem