Why become a member? ×

Balancing your setlist

razze06

I've been wondering for a while about what would be the best way to organise the setlist for our band, so I thought i'd ask the deep mind of Basschat :)

We normally play 2-2.5 hours of material, organised in two sets of approximately 15 songs. Most of our material is upbeat, and we try to get people dancing as much as we can and as long as we can. We have a certain number of sure-fire dancing numbers which we are sure will get people up, but I'm afraid about putting them in too early, and waste them on a crowd that's too cold still. 

How do you guys build your setlist? Do you keep your more dancey material for later, accepting that people need time to warm up (and have a few jars) before they are ready to participate, or do you try to get them involved right away by playing some of your sure-fire stuff early on?

By the way we do a very broad mix of covers, from swing to reggae to blues to pop to rock, often rearranged in a different genres from the original. Most of our gigs are pubs and private parties. 

First set, start very strong (you have to get their interest in the first 4 bars), hopefully no more than one slow number about halfway through and end with a couple of "up", "lively" songs that leaves them wanting to stay for the second set.

Second set, more of the same but start building the set towards a big finale. If you think you're getting an encore, finish slightly early and plan to play 2 good numbers in the encore.

Generally, treat each set as a show, don't give them time to think about going to the bar or sitting down between numbers, view all songs from the point of view of the audience.

We used to start the show with a fast/catchy song or with a more atmospheric song followed with a fast/catchy one. Things slowed down at the second part of the first set, but we always took care to make it more intense just before the break. 
For me, the second set has to start with a "party message". But again, variety is the key. A dancing medley in the middle of the second set is a safe bet. 

Thanks for the advice. Luckily we are already trying to do what you recommend. I think it just takes a little bit of time for people to warm up to the idea of getting involved. We'll probably swap out one or two of the more soulful songs for rowdier party gigs :) 

Second set is where it’s at, although as Loz said you don’t want to have lost the crowd by then, I think you always have to be a little flexible with the set, if the place gets unexpectedly rammed early on, throw some of your best tunes in.

5 hours ago, progben said:

A fine art indeed.

Start strong, end strong (both sets) and chuck some downtempo and/or experimental stuff in the middle.

At the end of the day its a momentum game. Best to be able to shuffle things around as you go if possible too!

Exactly this. We have a set list, but the singer tends to read the crowd as we go along and make changes as we need them.

Last gig we did found 90% of the audience line dancing to Miss you, by the Stones. I think we extended the song to nearly 10 minutes. They loved it. So, if need be, do what you have to do, to make it work for that audience.

Edited by leschirons
Spelling error.

The prog covers band I'm in will have to start thinking about this soon, as we near having enough material to play a gig. On the basis that the dancey stuff goes in the second set, we'll just be playing a very long first set.

Put a bum-squeezer in towards the end of the night, then finish it off with a bang. Keep an extra bang or two in reserve as encores.

15 hours ago, Creeper said:

Second set is where it’s at, although as Loz said you don’t want to have lost the crowd by then, I think you always have to be a little flexible with the set, if the place gets unexpectedly rammed early on, throw some of your best tunes in.

This.

Always good to have an idea of a basic set, but being able to deviate from it

as and where necessary is a massive advantage. Also reading the crowd before

you go on ( for age range / likelihood of dancing / amount of booze consumed etc )

can really help with pacing your sets for the evening. 

This is the endless debate in the bands I am in. We generally start with 3 songs no caps one into another all top tunes, get peoples attention. we then do the hellos. In my experience, once the booze starts to take effect we on it. Any anthem type tunes are always second half, everyone up dancing together. I also pick out the group who are desperate to dance ask them their names then, the combination of good songs and banter usually makes for a top night. I don't think its just about playing good songs may be an 80/20 split? Sometimes a crowd need a push!

I think the mistake most people make (and this is more apparent for originals bands IME) is that they don't treat their set like a show or consider their audience enough. 

[ Case in point: I asked a popular metal touring guitar player about how his band arranges their setlists. His answer was that it was 100% down to the guitar tuning because they had to change instruments every 2-3 songs. 

I understand the reasoning for this but I still find it quite surprising that a band would let logistics govern the flow of their performance to this extent. ]

In essence, a live performance is the same as any entertainment art-form, and there's a reason why everything from theatre, to Hollywood blockbusters utilise a formula based around a hard hitting opening/conclusion and a more slow-paced and thought-provoking mid-section. It just works. 

My only advise is to put yourself in the position of a punter (we've all been there, after all) and try to come up with something you'd enjoy! 

I use both DB and bass guitar in the set, so a small amount of consideration has to be given to the flow of the show. Also, some songs are vocally very demanding, and the singer needs to have them late in the set. But these are constraints we have to work around when building a setlist that feels like a show (or two smaller shows :)

I'd echo the above; we group the songs needing time for instrument changes so as to keep the 'flow' going. Another constraint nowadays is stamina; I'm now pretty incapable of playing more than two or three 'up-beat' numbers in succession for reasons of old age. No good getting 'em up dancing if the third-to-last song is interrupted in mid swing by drummer's demise. :|

3 hours ago, razze06 said:

Also, some songs are vocally very demanding, and the singer needs to have them late in the set.

Yes, that too. Singer has to be well warmed up for the challenging numbers, but perhaps at the latter stages of the show, their voice may present signs of fatigue. 

We do two sets and repeat the formula of build up to three or four crackers at the end but have enough decent tunes to either keep folk dancing or singing along. Our fiddle player sings some tunes too so she does a couple in the first half to warm up then a wee mini set in the second half of three or four in a row. Breaks the second set up and gives the crowd a new focus and different feel to the gig.  I'm confident you'll be already on the right track. When/where you next out in Edinburgh? Might pop along :)

Edited by krispn