Why become a member? ×

SOLD *** Dave Smith Instruments Mono Evolver Desktop synth. £325 posted within UK.
£325

***** SOLD *****

Dave Smith Instruments Mono Evolver Desktop synth. £325 posted within UK.

This is an absolute beast of a synth. As far as I can tell it's in full working order (sometimes the push-buttons need a firm press to activate, but they all work), although I spend a lot of time staring at it and wondering what the hell it is doing...which is largely why I'm selling it - it's just too much synth for me! Also it's default mode seems to be the gnarly/industrial/sci-fi type sounds whereas I am mostly interested in the more trippy, ambient type tones. These can be coaxed out of it too, if you know what you're doing, but it doesn't take much provocation for it to revert to the dark side. You do need to take some time to understand what it does - you can get it into modes where it does not respond to keyboard input, or where the sequencer is running but no audio is sounding - all these are legitimate states, but it's easy to think it's defective when you are new to it - I went through this several times in the first few weeks of ownership. Maybe not an ideal first synth, but it is stunningly powerful if you take the time to learn it. 

OS V2.1. Power supply (US 2-prong style, with UK adaptor) included. Manual is available on-line, as is an excellent in-depth guide written by an enthusiast, which is really worth having. I can email both if required.

Links:     DSI product page: https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/evolver/
    Manual: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/downloads/evolver/doc/Evolver_manual_3.2a.pdf?765cbf
    "The Definitive Guide To Evolver": http://www.carbon111.com/evolverguide.pdf
    There are also plenty of demos on Youtube if you want to take a look.

Summary of the specs: 

4 OSCILLATORS : 2 DCO's -(sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle mix, and pulse waves (with pulse-width modulation), and hard sync)
        2 Digital wavetable oscillators with Prophet VS waves and wave sequencing capability, FM and ring modulation.
        White noise generator.
        Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator.

2 FILTERS: One low-pass analog Curtis filter per channel, selectable 2- and 4-pole operation (self-resonating in 4-pole mode)
       Digital high-pass filter

3 ENVELOPES: filter, VCA, and Auxiliary envelope. Envelopes freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations & all envelopes can repeat/loop

4 LFOS - Four syncable LFOs

MODULATION MATRIX: 4 x 2 modulation matrix with 24 mod sources and over 75 mod destinations

FEEDBACK AND 3 DELAYS: Tuned feedback. Three-tap syncable delays with feedback and amount controls per delay

VCA: Analog VCAs

EFFECTS: Stereo analog distortion. Output Hack

SEQUENCER: 16x4 steps: syncs to MIDI clock and external audio: sequences can control not only oscillator pitch but any parameter in the modulation matrix.

MEMORY: 512 fully editable programs (four banks of 128)

IN/OUT: MIDI In, Out, Thru, and Poly Chain. Stereo audio input: 1/4" unbalanced. Stereo audio output: 1/4" unbalanced

DIMENSIONS: Dimensions: approximately 10.75" L x 6" W x 1.9" H (27.3 cm x 15.24 cm x 4.8 cm) Weight: 3.18 lb. (1.49 kg)

P1010282.thumb.JPG.41192d11ce4c96f760c77f666f560647.JPGP1010284.thumb.JPG.6c892a3704cd68e4c0846993e685fc48.JPGP1010286.JPG.5cbbac5ddd3f831e25071679dbe18735.JPG

Edited by Earbrass