Why become a member? ×

So....what WOULD 7 OC-2s sound like chained together??

Sibob

IMG_7885.thumb.JPG.6546c336498c33ec0ca248ed83fe32e2.JPG

*Don't worry, there is a video below*

For as long as I've had my little collection of Boss OC-2s, people have asked the inevitable; "what do they sound like all together?".

Up to this point I'd never tried because, well, that's silly right?! 

Well here it is, a very quick hit of my 7 OC-2s together.

The looped bass 'riff' had to start high on the bass neck to accommodate the stacked low octaves as best as possible. We ignore the -2 octave control, and so each pedal starts with no direct signal and 100% -1 level. Once all on, we start to introduce the clean blend on each pedal. I have to ride the Input gain of the recording device a bit, simply because of the sheer amount of signal going on, but once we get to OC-2 number 5 & onwards, they start to overload each other. So the distortion that you're hearing is not a clipped signal into the iTrack Pocket, but OC-2 pedal 5, 6 & 7 themselves clipping.

Helpful? No

Silly? Yes

Have fun. 

*USE HEADPHONES OR DECENT SPEAKERS".

For the geeks who get this far, bass is a US Lakland 44-94 passive P/J, and the OC-2s are one of each iteration of the pedal, as follows:

- Black Label Japan Octaver

- Black Label Japan Octaver

- Black Label Japan Octave (lighter paint)

- Black Label Taiwan Octave (darker paint)

--Silver Label Taiwan Octave

- plus two extra un-boxed Octavers. I tend to gig these two.

Si

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Literally one for every day of the week! @CameronJ, this makes your idea of having 3 Octamizers a less outlandish proposal that it first appeared.

Interesting how this fits the theme of “if you could choose just one octave pedal”; so you get to do both - having only one but also having many. (Though do I spy a Sub ‘n’ Up in the left of the frame?)

Edited by Quatschmacher

6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Literally one for every day of the week! @CameronJ, this makes your idea of having 3 Octamizers a less outlandish proposal that it first appeared.

Interesting how this fits the theme of “if you could choose just one octave pedal”; so you get to do both - having only one but also having many. (Though do I spy a Sub ‘n’ Up in the left of the frame?)

Yeah, there's a Sub'n'Up on one of my boards (which also has an OC-2), I only use it for the +1 octave.

I also have a COG T-16 and a Line6 M5 (which models the EBS Octave) that I could have thrown into the fray, but this is the OC-2 party really ;).

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Si -  why only seven?  If you cornered the market in OC2s you could drive up the price and maybe also start a theme park with entry fees and drooling filter feeding bass players? ?  

I did have 9 at one point, but it's ultimately a bit silly right, so now I just have one of every iteration, boxed etc, with a couple of extras....which of course is completely not silly.

Si

• Like 1

Well if you have a COG T16 you're clearly a man of taste (that's actually a serious point!) and the Sub'n'Up is another class act, or so @dood assures me, apart from the fact they decided to make the monophonic setting glitch like a trooper below an Ab so that they could emulate the 'worst of' an analogue octaver's feature set. Why?

But, as you say, merely having seven OC2, when each one is a different iteration is completely not silly, whereas nine would definitely be the transition from OC-2 mania to bordering on OC-D? :D

Thanks for brightening up a dreary Monday morning!

11 minutes ago, charic said:

Damn xD

It's analogue. I'm not sure that there any analogue octave pedals that do a decent octave up?

For a really good octave up you could do worse than the EHX Pitchfork, which I felt pipped the TC Sub'n'Up in terms of live use flexibility and slightly tighter tracking and which does a whole bunch of other stuff as well!