Why become a member? ×

A most likely naive pickup question...

iain_psb

Hi all,

So I have 3 basses, all of which are P’s. 

My issue is that my Mike Dirnt roadworn is the lowest output out of all of them. 

My 2003 MIM P is very loud and overly low end heavy (I didn’t even think that was possible!)

The final bass seems about where I would like it and has a cheap powered by lace pickup in it. 

So I guess my question is, how do you all deal with varying pickup outputs?

I love my Mike Dirnt and playing in a Green Day tribute band it seems silly not to have one. However, I played a gig last night and didn’t even use it due to the lack of output. 

Am I being naive in just looking at the pickups and should I be looking at wiring looms and more detailed components as well?

Thanks in advance!

Once you've optimised the pickup heights, get a switcher pedal that allows you to adjust the different inputs so you can balance the basses output against the Mike Dirnt and present your pedals/amp with a consistent input level. Alternatively get a clean boost pedal for the Dirnt to lift its output to match the other basses...

That's what I did when I was gigging a high output active Wal alongside a passive Aria SB700 - brought the output of the Wal down so that when I hit the switcher pedal the volumes were consistent.

Edited by TrevorR

Has the Mex P got a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in it, as from the description that`s what it sounds like to me. If so I`d look to more "standardise" the Mex to make it a backup to the Dirnt, as bein in a Green Day tribute surely that has to be the go-to bass.

The tone and volume will be affected by the design of the pickup. For instance, extra windings will boost volume.

I'm guessing you just want to equalise the volume between the basses? A multi channel switcher would do that while maintaining the tonal characteristics of each bass.

15 hours ago, TrevorR said:

I really like the look of that, had the little dual for a while to experiment with stereo ping pong delay. How do you match the inputs though?

The little black discs next to the letters A & B are trim pots. Plug your quietest bass into channel C then use the trim pots to reduce the volume of he basses in the other channels to match it. V easy. I’ve got the old model where the trim pots were inside so you had to take the top of the pedal off to adjust them. The second gen ones have a much more sensible design.

So, I’d have the passive Aria in Channel C and the Wal in Channel A with the internal trim pot turned down as necessary. I used Channel B as a mute channel as I only took the two basses to gigs.