Why become a member? ×

Nitro over Poly?

yorks5stringer

Are you sure the lighter areas are not patches of trapped moisture (blush). These can appear cloudy/hazy and will be paler on darker finishes. Spraying too close should not dissolve your colour coats, unless you rubbed at it also.

If you're painting a solid (opaque) colour I'd just smooth it with 600 before continuing. If it's blush you don't need more colour coats, sanding should release it. Even if you do spray more colour you don't need to sand back to the poly, unless you're keen to have a thin finish (which I guess you aren't as you didn't strip the poly!).

Edited by Manton Customs
  • Like 1

If you still have plenty of lacquer left in your can I'd be tempted to knock it back now. Go steady though and maybe do it over a couple of days. Knocking off the surface will help to release any trapped solvent. Once the bloom has gone give it another round or two of spraying

Edit to say that a cold or damp garage is obviously not the best environment for spraying. Try to do it at the warmest part of the day.

Edited by Norris
  • Like 1