Why become a member? ×

How many strings does your go-to bass have?

Paul S

How many strings?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. How many strings does the bass(es) you usually use have?

• Exclusively 4
    • flip between 4 and 5
    • Exclusively 5
    • Flip between 5 and 6
    • Exclusively 6
    • I'll happily play anything

14 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I have a total of 32 strings evenly divided between 8 basses. Never played 5 stringers never felt the need to do so. In the circles I move in, I rarely see them, to be honest. Nothing against them, just not something I need.

14 hours ago, Osiris said:

Exclusively 4's for me these days. I did flirt with 5's a few years ago but found that I didn't really venture below the low D so I moved back to 4's. Not having the biggest hands in the world, I find the smaller necks of most 4's to be more comfortable too. 

That about sums it up for me!

I've played 4, 5, 6, 8 & 12 strings over the years but have gone with whatever was required for the material that I have been playing at the time.

At the moment 95% of the time I need a 4 and for the 5% that I would require a 5 I have a Hipshot with a double stop so I can choose either D or B

Interesting - that's more 5-string players than I expected. I've only played 5's since the early 90's, when I did a tour with a band where I had to copy the synth bass lines that had been on their album. Now I can't go back to a 4 - I miss the B string (or 'thumb rest', as I call it) too much!

I do own one 4-string, but that's a re-issue of a Ibanez Black Eagle, that I desperately wanted when I was 16, and couldn't afford. It hangs on the wall in the lounge, and I just gaze at it and wonder where the last 40 years went...

Been back on a 4 for about ( I think)  8 years now.  I decided back then that I'm happier here and just had to admit that to myself. 

I would use a 5 again if the gig demanded it but really don't see the point of making it hard work if I don't need to go down to a low C.

I detune the E string for D and Eb and adjust my fingering accordingly which works for me.  I used to think the exact opposite regarding the go to, 4 or 5? question and was firmly in the 5 camp.  Maybe in time I'll go back the other way but if say I won a competition for a free bass from a bass builder like Overwater,Goodfellow, Status,Sadowsky ect and I got to chose what ever I liked......it would be a 4 string.:D

My first bass (aged 18) was a fretless 5 string. Traded it back in at the shop a couple of years later for a better fretless 5 string (which I still have).. then a decade later, because frets were proving kind of useful, and my friend's 4 string Jazz was virtually on permanent loan (I was forever dropping the E to a D) I ended up buying a 6.. now sold in favour of a new SR5. So I've never actually owned a 4 string!! But I really enjoy playing them.. so at some point I'll need to get one. I think I need one to complete the family..... :D

• 3 weeks later...

I saw somewhere that a lot of show music is written on the assumption of 5-strings, so if yr a session bassist, you just have to play 5.

I love the IDEA of a 5-string for access to EXTRA deep notes - and access to lots of 'cello / baroque music that goes down to C or D, and a low Eflat might be useful for jazz.  But when I hatched a plan to buy a 5 string Thumb NT or Dolphin and started a search ... I went and saw/bought my 4-string dolphin, so still stuck with 3x 4-stringers (and a 4-string double bass and a 4-string acoustic) ... still Gassing about a wal mk2 5 or a broadneck dolphin ... or a 5-string musicman .. but just can't quite make the switch; and after playing 4-strings for nearly 50 years (!) that extra one is CONFUSING.  Old dogs new tricks etc.

PS: yes indeed, Bach flute partitas on an electric bass, sounds great!

You only get five lower notes, from the open B to the 5th fret E / open E.  But you get a lot more flexibility and easier fingerings further up the fretboard.

One of my favourite songs to play is B B King's  "The Thrill is Gone" (which I've played with Victor Brox who played it with BBK...) the lower 5ths on the B string under the B and G on the E string give it an easy-to-play real depth.

Bach on bass - yes! see

http://faststrings.com/josquin-des-pres-bach-for-bass.html

and the amazing

http://www.jsbach.net/

he uses a custom 7-string, B E A D G C F and it's worth reading his explanation of why he needed that.

http://www.jsbach.net/bass/instruments.html

Quite honestly, if I needed to go that low again, I'd restring as BEAD. I had a bass tuned that way earlier this year for a specific project which has now ended, and all of my basses are tuned EADG again. I see the extended low end as of more use than keeping the high notes on the G string.

I've ticked the "exclusively 4" box, as that's my go-to standard
I do own a 5 string, but don't play it too often - it's just there to noodle with now & again, and remind me how to play a 5er 
(I tend to get confused too easily, and play the wrong string on a 5er! lol)

Edited by Marc S