Why become a member? ×

DI buzz

ryan0583

At my gig tonight I encountered a very strange issue. The sound guys took a DI into the desk, but there was a noticeable buzz which went away if I switched my amp off. This happened even when there was nothing plugged into the amp, so I was straight into the DI box but without the link cable to my amp. I ended up doing the gig just using a wedge for monitoring.

What could this be? It's like the amp is interfering with the DI box somehow. Maybe an earthing problem somewhere?

The venue was Birmingham O2 academy 2 in case anyone has experienced something similar there. I had no problems last night with exactly the same setup.

It was one of these:

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/BSS-AR-133-Active-DI-Box/UZ0?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=40140d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=142856716879&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6enQBRDUARIsAGs1YQi3Pcq-nGax6Gf6tJ4msp6Wyicg4JsUC-HbjBkS6r6doGInAZ5T5PYaAhBXEALw_wcB

They also tried a passive Di box (not sure of make/model) which had the same problem, as did the DI from my amp.

It was sat on top of the amp, although we did try moving it away which didn't improve things either.

Should probably also mention that I run a pedalboard powered by a diago power supply.

That's a real pro DI then. I've never had any buzz problem with one of these once the ground lift switch is flipped.

Could be an amp power supply problem with radiated/induced interference or a high-impedance earth issue etc. Very difficult to know and very odd that you didn't have the same problem with the same setup on the previous night.

Did you try powering your amp from a different supply i.e. from the other side of stage where it may be a different earth?

Tried a different kettle lead, and tried plugging into a different outlet on the same side of the stage. After that we just ditched my rig altogether!

Been looking at the Palmer pli 01 or something similar, but I'm not sure this would have helped since there was no buzz coming from my cab, just the pa and monitors.