Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF-50T vs B15

JapanAxe

As per the title, has anyone done an A/B comparison between the Ampeg PF-50T (or PF-20T) valve head, and any incarnation of the venerable B15, preferably through the same cab?

Failing that, if you are familiar with the sound of a B15 and have tried out a PF-50T (or PF-20T), was it anywhere close?

Just curious...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to kickstart this, you heard my PF-50t when you saw me play. I don't think it is *that* loud so personally I'd avoid a PF-20t for anything other than studio work. I've not done a side by side comparison but it is certainly what Ampeg were aiming to do & although they don't seem to be huge sellers, the reviews all suggested it got you in that ballpark. 

9 hours ago, Burrito said:

Just to kickstart this, you heard my PF-50t when you saw me play. I don't think it is *that* loud so personally I'd avoid a PF-20t for anything other than studio work. I've not done a side by side comparison but it is certainly what Ampeg were aiming to do & although they don't seem to be huge sellers, the reviews all suggested it got you in that ballpark. 

Cheers Tim, yes I have heard you playing through it with CCRR and Case Hardin (who get a mention in this month's MU mag article on country and Americana in the UK btw). At 50W I wouldn't expect the PF-50T to be that loud (although yours happily filled a small pub on each occasion), but my BF Super Twin would stand a good chance of maximising its impact!

The only dedicated bass valve amp I have tried was a Mesa Bass Prodigy Four:88 and I didn't like that at all - I tried the Demeter alongside it, and paid another £250 to bring that home instead! I also restored a Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50, and sold that on because the sound wasn't for me. I may be chasing the idea of what something should sound like here, but I am curious.

55 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Cheers Tim, yes I have heard you playing through it with CCRR and Case Hardin (who get a mention in this month's MU mag article on country and Americana in the UK btw).

Cheers Graeme, I did not know that. Very cool. If you are in a position to scan / photograph the page and DM me on Messenger, that'd be really cool.. and worth a pint! My MU membership expired in 1995! :/

Valve amps do sound lovely but yes, I'm getting to a stage where a lighter option would probably be easier. I'm hoping that I can last out a few more years yet though. I think a few of the class D options come close. I'm quite impressed with the Fender Bassman stuff. I had an old 1978 135w head that nearly broke my back but sounded like heaven. Unwisely I flightcased it which must go down in history as my least wise bass decision.

• 8 months later...

I can feel a blind test trial coming on at the south east bass bash !

I have a '64 B15 , a modern B15 clone, ( used with a 70's SB12 neo'd cab ) and have just bought the PF50t.

should I take them along ?

Edited by Chimike

There is a Guy over on TB who seems to know what he is talking about when it comes to anything that is Ampeg related, and he states that tonally the PF-20 is closer to a B-15 and the PF-50 is closer to a V-4B.

Edited by RedVee

Get's even more interesting !

doubt the PF50t is like the 70's V4b, that's more SVT -like. But maybe similar to the re-issue. I also have a B15r, which is similar to the re-issue V4b, so can compare at some stage.

these are all heads, let's not forget that a good part of the B15 Magic is in the cab.