Why become a member? ×

'Your' band

interpol52

17 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

The Who

'Nuff said

Chris

Yep, another one for The Who here as well! The Doors get an honourable mention as well, as I learnt keys before bass, and found Ray Manzarek's playing as inspiring as I would go on to find John Entwistle's.

But in terms of feeling like a group is "mine," I feel like there are a few groups who I've discovered along the way that my friends will always think of as "that group Elias got me into." For that, "my" bands are Camel, Quintessence, Ozric Tentacles, Hooverphonic, and Emily Loizeau. Now it's come full circle and one of those friends is sending me albums by All Them Witches, Om, Unida - it's nice to think I'm getting something back from sharing/forcing all my musical explorations with/on people previously!

this is a tough one, ive got a number of bands i would consider "my band" in the way they have inspired me to make music, and honestly i draw my influences from all over the place.

feeder - the band that showed me you don't have to a be a virtuoso to make music people want to rock out to to

angels & airwaves - showed me that any pop punk musician can have dreams beyond their imagination

black stone cherry - for showing me that even fat blokes can be rock front men.

the who - for having the balls to do things other people didn't.

Edited by RockfordStone

This will probably be a controversial choice but here goes...

I love Everything but the Girl, from the first album Eden, through the soft Jazz period all the way to the Electro stuff.

Tracey Thorn's voice is subtle and divine - she is highly regarded by the likes of Paul Weller and George Michael and has a huge body of work (in excess of 15 albums) but is probably best known the track "Missing" and for her (infinitely better) version of the Rod Stewart classic "I don't want to talk about it" which you'll here on the jukebox at The Queen Vic if you watch Eastenders. Her version of "Paris Match" on the first Style Council album is considered superior by PW himself.

If you're into Lyrics check out their work....

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

This will probably be a controversial choice but here goes...

I love Everything but the Girl, from the first album Eden, through the soft Jazz period all the way to the Electro stuff.

I love everything but the girl. I don't tend to like much of that style of music at all but the albums Temperamental and walking wounded have never gone far from my regular playlist, 

Usually it's the band that really hit you when you became of age.

Coming of age in 1964 can sort of speak for itself.

However you had to have some help. At age 10 my Dad purchased The Beatles Meet The Beatles and Something New. He also bought Manfred Man's album Do Wah Diddy for me.

Some people come from homes where art in general and music were non-existent.

I've heard people my age say, "I don't really listen to much music". To me that's like saying " I really don't breathe much'

It's certainly nothing to brag about.

Blue

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Usually it's the band that really hit you when you became of age.

Coming of age in 1964 can sort of speak for itself.

However you had to have some help. At age 10 my Dad purchased The Beatles Meet The Beatles and Something New. He also bought Manfred Man's album Do Wah Diddy for me.

Some people come from homes where art in general and music were non-existent.

I've heard people my age say, "I don't really listen to much music". To me that's like saying " I really don't breathe much'

It's certainly nothing to brag about.

Blue

Oddly enough the Beatles All My Loving EP was my first ever record for my birthday. It came out in 63 but i think it was my 4th birthday in 64 when i got it. I would have been 4 yrs old and still have it. That was my only Beatles record tho. 

Dave

IQ.  http://www.iq-hq.co.uk 

A chance invitation to a gig (after I'd photographed them for a article in the student newspaper) made me realise that there was some music other than classical that spoke to me.  I have subsequently liked other bands like Rush and Genesis, but still I return to IQ time and time again.

A great band who are still going from strength to strength - I know that the original and current bass player Tim Esau is an occasional poster here, he plays some cracking lines, as did John Jowitt when he was in the band.

On 11/25/2017 at 20:55, interpol52 said:

For me it's Nirvana. Blue will understand what I mean when I say it's because I was there at the time it all happened. I've loved bands more since, but they will always be the ones that had the biggest impact.

Yours?

Same

I listened to Nevermind and Bleach on repeat for about 4 months.

Green day(with Dookie) and Blink 182 (Dude ranch) close runner ups!

1 hour ago, TorturedSaints said:

IQ.  http://www.iq-hq.co.uk 

A chance invitation to a gig (after I'd photographed them for a article in the student newspaper) made me realise that there was some music other than classical that spoke to me.  I have subsequently liked other bands like Rush and Genesis, but still I return to IQ time and time again.

A great band who are still going from strength to strength - I know that the original and current bass player Tim Esau is an occasional poster here, he plays some cracking lines, as did John Jowitt when he was in the band.

Have to say i saw them years ago in early 80's i think it was at Heathery Bar in Wishaw and they were ok but having bought The Road of Bones album i was totally blown away.  Everything about that album speaks quality from the songwriting to musicianship to the production.

Has to be up there in my top 10 albums of all time. 

Dave

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oddly enough the Beatles All My Loving EP was my first ever record for my birthday. It came out in 63 but i think it was my 4th birthday in 64 when i got it. I would have been 4 yrs old and still have it. That was my only Beatles record tho. 

Dave

And Meet The Beatles and Something New we're probably my onlyy Beatles records. 

But I was never necessarily a Beatles records fanatic. I was and still am a Beatles fanatic. Huge difference 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Dave

I don't think any band would have had any inpact on me as a 4 year old.

Blue

Dave

I do think age has an impact on us. Not many have stated how old they were when " their band" touched their souls.

For example someone mentioned Nirvana. I was certainly around when they came out. But I was an adult, married with 2 young children. No band was going to really touch my soul at that point in my life.

I was 10 when The Beatles became "my band". Every move they made seemed relevant to me.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

34 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I don't think any band would have had any inpact on me as a 4 year old.

Blue

Look up Rick Beato on YouTube and his son Dylan. Irrefutable I think that music has a massive effect on us, even under the age of two years old. :) 

1 hour ago, dood said:

Certainly not the type of effect for impact I was talking about. And I don't see a "band" anywhere in the video.

All I see is a child with some sort of apptitude/abilty for hearing and recognizing chords.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Have to say i even had the plastic Beatles guitar and the plastic Beatles wig at 4yrs old and i have photos to prove it somewhere xD

Think that was probably the only record that touched me up until my early teens to be fair. I do remember my Mother playing some great songs ranging from Themes from Greek Islands, Tijuana Sound of Brass to Elvis and Lynn Anderson and even The Platters albums.

Then i found Glam Rock and all down hill from there xD

Dave 

1 hour ago, dood said:

Look up Rick Beato on YouTube and his son Dylan. Irrefutable I think that music has a massive effect on us, even under the age of two years old. :) 

Massive effect and impact may or may not be the same. However you make a good point to a degree.

I remember being under the age if 4 sitting in my high chair in our kitchen below the age of 4. My Mom would always have the local Black Music radio station on. I clearly remember enjoying hearing Ray Charles singing "Hit The Road Jack".  I'm  still awarding The Beatles as my band.

Blue