Why become a member? ×

'Your' band

interpol52

Rush for me.

Many in 'second' place but I've never followed another band with as much enthusiasm as I do with Rush, and that still remains after 35 years or so of being a fan.

(Interesting that on this currently short thread, this is the fourth Rush mention already!!)

Edited by Wilco

I have just bumped another thread about a Spotify Playlist that you can all add to. I thought it might be cool if you added some of your 'best baselines' from the favourite artists mentioned here! (For my own selfishness, I like to listen to this on long journeys in the car!)

http://open.spotify.com/user/onlinedood/playlist/6UkfcLnRafb95u7EnciaAU

7 minutes ago, dood said:

I have just bumped another thread about a Spotify Playlist that you can all add to. I thought it might be cool if you added some of your 'best baselines' from the favourite artists mentioned here! (For my own selfishness, I like to listen to this on long journeys in the car!)

http://open.spotify.com/user/onlinedood/playlist/6UkfcLnRafb95u7EnciaAU

Digital Man - Rush just added!

• Thanks 1

Very tough to pick one but if pushed I'd have to say Pink Floyd. I remember listening to DSotM with my Dad in the car on a late night motorway excursion and it opened my eyes to music as more than just memorable songs. Even though Floyd aren't my favourite band, the way music can create a whole world you can live in has always been something I've searched for since that experience.

8 minutes ago, progben said:

Very tough to pick one but if pushed I'd have to say Pink Floyd. I remember listening to DSotM with my Dad in the car on a late night motorway excursion and it opened my eyes to music as more than just memorable songs. Even though Floyd aren't my favourite band, the way music can create a whole world you can live in has always been something I've searched for since that experience.

Altho Rush is "My Band" as described by OP initial post i would also agree that some albums like DSOTM and Trick of the Tail and 2112 created a world you could get lost in.

For many many years Genesis Seconds Out was my fav album even after i started to dislike them when they became more a pop band and the songs weren't my thing any more. Probably still is but this is another thread to be talked about. :D

Dave

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

Like most other people I couldn’t narrow it down to just one band

Mine would be Iron Maiden, Nirvana, RATM and Guns and Roses

Same here and same list but I would have to add the sex pistols, the cure, the cult and Pearl jam, plus a lesser known band called Paw -I listened to Dragline every day for over a year. 

YES, without a doubt, took me to wonderful far away places while I sat on my bed dreaming as a teenager, the density and complexity of the music always gave up something new, and baffled me as to how they could all play together like that.  I can't say Chris Squire inspired me to play bass, that was probably Geezer Butler, but it is YES that appeals to my inner self!

• Like 1

Probably early Pink Floyd, my sister had Relics, and the first pre-recorded cassette I bought was A Nice Pair, which was Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucer Full of Secrets all jumbled up to make both sides almost exactly the same length. Huge influence on me at 13 or so.

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
Checked the release date!

Tower of Power - Back to Oakland. I was Seventeen when it was released & have had a fondness for them ever since.

Blew my mind when I first heard them. Lush arrangements with close, detailed harmony in the Horn section, top playing all round with plenty of improvising.

For all those who say they cant pick one. That means you dont have a "Your band".  Its the one that got to you when you were young and impressionable, the one you can go back to no matter how many years have elapsed. the one that no matter how long ago the music was recorded, to you it never sounds dated or cheesy. Thats your band.

17 hours ago, interpol52 said:

You feel like they are yours and untouchable

In that case: NO! :)

In other cases: YES!

It really started when I heard "Dear Father" (IMS originally a non-album single B-side) on the radio and later rejected their first album because there was too much singing (!) on it, but it exploded when I listened to "Roundabout" in a record shop. This was before the album came out.

THAT BASS PART! That sound! Those arrangements! That song altogether! Later that year I bough "Fragile" without even listening to it first (a rare occurrence). After all it had "Roundabout".

Yes taught me there was good music outside classical music, and they changed me forever.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikel said:

It's the one that got to you when you were young and impressionable, the one you can go back to no matter how many years have elapsed. the one that no matter how long ago the music was recorded, to you it never sounds dated or cheesy. Thats your band.

I was struggling to pick one but this gave me my answer immediately: Bad Company.

3 hours ago, mikel said:

For all those who say they cant pick one. That means you dont have a "Your band".  Its the one that got to you when you were young and impressionable, the one you can go back to no matter how many years have elapsed. the one that no matter how long ago the music was recorded, to you it never sounds dated or cheesy. Thats your band.

I stand by my list. :| (although the very notion of 'young and impressionable' rankles somewhat..! :P)

I stated Rush earlier but having read some of the more recent comments i would have to add that it was Rush since my bass playing days in 76ish and have continued to enjoy them longer than any other band.

The first band to influence me was probably Sweet with Teenage Rampage and then their various hit singles

Then at 13 i heard Bowie and became a Bowie fan for few years. Those Bowie albums from the 70's have remained imprinted in my brain ever since and still listen to them to this day. They will never fade.

Dave