Why become a member? ×

TV themes which groove

TheGreek

4 minutes ago, JBP said:

Here is another classic, with a great bass part, skip forward to about 54 seconds to get past the gubbins.

More pure cheese... but kinda funky.

Pure class.

Reminds me of getting home from school in about 1980 and turning on the telly.

Edited by Cato

1 hour ago, JBP said:

How come no one has mentioned this yet

?

Funny enough I was reading about this the other day. How they sampled the notes (Along with the FX), and how everything was then played on a keyboard.

EDIT: Here you go.Interesting little read.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/689n7a/how-seinfelds-theme-song-was-created

Edited by lowdown
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, barneyg42 said:

This has to be one of my favourites, the program itself too!!

As a kid, skateboarding outside the Royal Festival Hall, we had the chance to be in the background while they were filming the opening scene for an episode. Lazy bastards were filming all day to produce a scene which lasted about 15 seconds...so that's where my License fee goes!

Wow I had no idea, still kinda groovy though

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

Funny enough I was reading about this the other day. How they sampled the notes (Along with the FX), and how everything was then played on a keyboard.

EDIT: Here you go.Interesting little read.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/689n7a/how-seinfelds-theme-song-was-created

My love of Jazz started with TV and radio theme tunes. The links and themes on The Friday Rock Show included the Dixieland Dregs, Al DiMeola,  the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Weather Report's Birdland, Cagney and Lacey, TSOS, Hill Street Blues... The list is endless. 

58 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

My love of Jazz started with TV and radio theme tunes. The links and themes on The Friday Rock Show included the Dixieland Dregs, Al DiMeola,  the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Weather Report's Birdland, Cagney and Lacey, TSOS, Hill Street Blues... The list is endless. 

Dave Grusin wrote some great big band/Jazz themed tunes for TV in the late 60's and early 70's.

YouTube 'Dave Grusin TV Themes', plenty of lovely arrangements and tunes from him.