Why become a member? ×

Help ID these strings for me

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I've taken a set of ancient Rotosound short scale jazz flats off my daphne blue '72 musicmaster as the intonation was all over the place and the tone was a bit indistinct. Had a look through a huge box of bags of removed strings to see if I have anything suitable and in better condition to replace them with and found some that looked practically new, although out of the original packet so I can't be sure of what they are. I think they might be LaBella deep talking flats (short scale) which I may have put on my mustang for a short while before I discovered that a Thomastic JF 324 set of 32" flats was available, although they could also be a set of short scale GHS 3020 L Precision Flats I remember having on my squier jag shortie briefly before putting on a set of TI JF324.

The bass has a cool rails strat sized humbucker fitted so it doesn't sound like a standard musicmaster, but these still have a lovely deep punch. They are not as floppy as the thomastics I normally use on other basses. They fit the musicmaster's 30" scale perfectly and have orange silks. I'm enjoying how the musicmaster plays and sounds with them, so if anyone can suggest what set they actually are that would be good to know. Is there a resource online where strings can be identified by their silk colours, or does anyone know which sets of short scale flatwounds have orange silks at the headstock end? - no silk at the bridge end and brass ball-ends.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard