Why become a member? ×

Mocha.......

Creeper

There are a couple of mid 70s mocha jazz basses around at the moment which I keep looking at, and just can decide. There is one at my local which was owned by then bassist from the shadows, plenty of mojo, and also reasonably priced......

I had an all original '78 Precision for a few years and my father in law has a '73 P-bass that I will apparently be getting one day. I liked the 70s colour schemes of browns and oranges (not just on instruments but cars, decor etc). I think the saving grace for me is that the Mocha finish doesn't look like you've just bought it as they haven't used it much since. I prefer vintage white and some of the other shades but I reckon on balance it's a minor hit, for my tastes. 

1 hour ago, police squad said:

Brown,

that is all

Sh!t Brown to be more precise. When I was working in a music shop in the late 70s I couldn't make my mind up whether this or the semi-transparent white that looked as though the finishers had knocked off early for the weekend without applying the correct number of coats of paint was more horrible.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Sh!t Brown to be more precise. When I was working in a music shop in the late 70s I couldn't make my mind up whether this or the semi-transparent white that looked as though the finishers had knocked off early for the weekend without applying the correct number of coats of paint was more horrible.

lol, my friend has a mocha strat. Looks horrible. I can honestly say, what a terrible colour!!  lol. Sorry guys

2 hours ago, Burrito said:

I prefer vintage white and some of the other shades but I reckon on balance it's a minor hit, for my tastes. 

Oh, yes. But remember that Oly White was very white, it's the passing of time that makes them 'vintage' white. :)

Regarding weight, it's variable. Some 70s Fenders are notoriously heavy boat anchors at 12 or 14 pounds and some are between 8 and 9 pounds. The only way you can tell is by picking them up and playing them. Which is a very good idea, as some of them are sublime players that sound amazing, and some... aren't.

8 hours ago, police squad said:

lol, my friend has a mocha strat. Looks horrible. I can honestly say, what a terrible colour!!  lol. Sorry guys

I know someone who used a half-finished white Strat as his main guitar in the early 80s. He'd been able to pick it up at a stupidly cheap price due to the fact that it was considered to be a hideous colour. The last time I saw the guitar, it had been "refinished" by covering it in old postage stamps.

So this is what we’re talking about, yes it was made in the mid 70s on worn out equipment by people who weren’t particularly bothered, yes there is a definite similarity to a turd, yes it weighs as much as a small car.

but is it just little bit funky??

AEFBEBA9-D132-4529-B0F8-D593E254B676.jpeg

1 hour ago, Creeper said:

I bet you're a sunburst man? (or lady!)

Not at all, I like white basses. White, Olympic White, Arctic White, Vintage White, Ivory, Cream, Chalk... Snow, Seashell, Cornstalk... Champagne, Bone, Vanilla, Flax... Eggshell, Ghost, Smoke, China, Cotton, Honeymilk... just not brown. :D

So I like white basses. It's true - I give you my word as a gentleman AND as a lady.

Edited by discreet

On 11/27/2017 at 07:52, Steve Browning said:

I have always wanted a nice mocha Precision but the main problem I find is the fact that the finish was around in the days when basses weighed as much as a small fishing vessel. They look like they've been dipped in oxtail soup.

I had one of those Steve Browning. I thought it looked cool, with maple board - a nice contrast :)
However, it weighed almost as much as two small fishing vessels! lol  And the neck was very wide and very deep - I bought it thinking I'd get used to it
in fact, it's the bass that put me off Fenders, which was also for a very long time. Gladly, I have seen the light now though ;)

56 minutes ago, discreet said:

Not at all, I like white basses. White, Olympic White, Arctic White, Vintage White, Ivory, Cream, Chalk... Snow, Seashell, Cornstalk... Champagne, Bone, Vanilla, Flax... Eggshell, Ghost, Smoke, China, Cotton, Honeymilk... just not brown. :D

Just accept I like white basses. It's true - I give you my word as a gentleman AND as a lady.

For some reason i've never got to like white basses, ive tried but its just not happened for me, white cars, snow, paper, milk, chocolate, alcoholic beverages, clouds, they're all good for being white, white basses just seem a little........average......

What pickguards do you have on youe white basses?

1 minute ago, Creeper said:

For some reason i've never got to like white basses, ive tried but its just not happened for me, white cars, snow, paper, milk, chocolate, alcoholic beverages, clouds, they're all good for being white, white basses just seem a little........average......

What pickguards do you have on youe white basses?

Black, mint, gold, cream, parchment, tort. Anything else is actually illegal...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, discreet said:

Black, mint, gold, cream, parchment, tort. Anything else is actually illegal...

Whilst gold may not be illegal, it may warrant some form of community service..

i do like a nice mint or parchment though, although good tort can’t be beat...

4 minutes ago, Creeper said:

Whilst gold may not be illegal, it may warrant some form of community service... ...good tort can’t be beat...

Gold looks good on the honey blonde Fender Classic 50s Precision. IMHO, anyway... and yes, if tort is to be used it has to be GOOD tort.

p2_uglpfr22s_so.jpg

42 minutes ago, discreet said:

Gold looks good on the honey blonde Fender Classic 50s Precision. IMHO, anyway... and yes, if tort is to be used it has to be GOOD tort.

p2_uglpfr22s_so.jpg

Good point well made, that looks at least as good as a mid 70s mocha ?

• Haha 1