Why become a member? ×

Flats on a Stingray

Linus27

2 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Bernard Edwards from Chic - classic Stingray with flats sound.

32 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Agree, B Edwards is the classic example of flats on a `Ray. Re the sound, if finding the bottom end a bit thumpy on rounds I`d be tempted to go down a gauge if going to flats, so if using a 105 round E, go 100 on flats.

Beat me to it but this is of course a gratuitous attempt to get my name in on a post. :ph34r::laugh1:

IIRC I think the original Stingrays were shipped with flats so it was an intended tone.

• 3 weeks later...

I think flats on a Jazz sound great, too. Don't get me wrong, I like the boingy single-coil sound of a Jazz with rounds, but there's something about using flats on a dual-pickup bass that's greater than the sum of its parts. And a lot more versatile than you'd think.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Briton said:

I tried a set off TI's on my Jazz and it didn't sound very good, so I removed them and put a set of EB Cobalt Flats on and they sounded great. I then put the TI's on my Precision and they sounded like the dogs b******s.Very strange!

Strings make such a huge difference and there's no logic to it. I wonder how many basses I've moved on over the years that would have sounded killer with the right strings on them.

Lesson: if you don't like the sound of a bass, don't change the electrics or pickups, try changing the strings first!

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

Strings strings string, the cheapest but one of the most important parts of your rig, I currently use Rotosound Jazz 77 flats on my Jazz basses and they are the “bomb”. Ever so slightly textured so you don’t get that horrible sticky feeling after an hour of playing, and sound awesome too.

ive trues TI flats a few time but they just seem to have no “balls.....””

On 17/12/2017 at 21:11, Briton said:

Cliff Williams of AC/DC always used Flats on his Stingray's which ditches the theory that Flats on a Stingray for Rock are a no no.I use EB Cobalt Flats on my Stingray 4 2 band Classic and they sound great. Actually I have Flats on all of my Basses, I am done with noisy short life Roundwounds

8 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I've hated them on every other bass I've tried but TI flats sounded fantastic on my Stingray fretless

I tried Chromes on my Sterling when I bought it and it sounded terrible yet I've used them on a lot of basses over the past 7 or 8 years with great results

Hi, I always loved flats on my Stingray and thought they soundded great for rock, although I did change to Status half rounds, which are no longer in production. I now play an Ibanez with coated Elixurs but have TI flats on my fretless Stingray.

I don't think that you will go wrong as you will have lots of aadjustment to play with on the amp. I had mine set at 12 oclock on both the bass and a bit of scoop on the amp and loved it.

A bit plus is that they stay sounding good for years

Finally got round to trying flats on my Stingray and I'm quite impressed. It's taken that aggressive clank away that you tend to get with Stingrays but kept the lovely Stingray tone. So pretty happy so far. They will be staying.

Also tried flats on my Fender AV75 Reissue Jazz and I really didnt like it one bit. Seemed to suppress it and made it sound dull. Restrung with my usual Ernie Ball Super Slinky and it came back to life again.

In both cases I was using TI Jazz flats.

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

Also tried flats on my Fender AV75 Reissue Jazz and I really didnt like it one bit. Seemed to suppress it and made it sound dull. Restrung with my usual Ernie Ball Super Slinky and it came back to life again.

In both cases I was using TI Jazz flats.

Might be worth trying other types too as some are brighter than others. Eg, EB Cobalt flats are very bright, almost roundwound in tone. 

• Thanks 1