Why become a member? ×

November Composition Challenge - VOTING!

Skol303

Choose your top three favourites...  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favourite...

• Dad3353
    • Mornats
    • lurksalot
    • fingers211
    • the boy

Voting has now started on November's Composition Challenge.

Here's the inspiration for this month's music, chosen by our previous winner, lowdown

maxresdefault.jpg

…and here are the compositions. Please listen to each and vote for your favourite (just one vote this month!):

Dad3353 'Mason And The Beasts'

http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/mason-and-the-beasts

Mornats 'Beast Vs Beast'

http://soundcloud.com/mornats/beast-vs-beast

lurksalot 'A Question Of Scale'

http://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/a-question-of-scale

fingers211 'Big Bullies'

http://soundcloud.com/nigel-jewell/big-bullies

the boy 'FIGHT A GORILLA (FALL DOWN AND DIE)'

http://soundcloud.com/theboysings/fight-a-gorilla-fall-down-and

Voting ends at midnight on Thursday 30th November.

Edited by Skol303
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, the boy said:

Ok. I can see that now. Great idea. I was putting off voting as i felt bad about voting for all but one. :D

Crossed my mind as well, but in my case all but two.

Edit: I can’t count seems there are five and not four, plus I didn’t enter.

xD

Voted. Well done all.

Edited by lowdown

2 hours ago, Mornats said:

Got my vote in :)

Next month's will be interesting. I have an idea for my cover version but I need to see if I can pull it off.

I've voted , and mine is almost done for next month :hi:

to be fair we had a right good laugh at the idea and having done a rough mix , lurksalittle loved it , so we should have some family participation again , I am really hanging my hat on the hope that my lad has still got a singing voice , if he can deliver on this it will be proper fun :D

8 minutes ago, the boy said:

Voted, I have to say that it was very difficult to pick one. Mornats got my vote in the end. It was a superb piece of music. I cant begin to imagine how he put it together. Well done Mornats, excellent work. Well done to the rest also, I enjoyed them all. 

Cheers! It's all about layering sounds and instruments on top of each other. I started with Sound Dust Cloud Cello and made some semi-random noises with them, letting them flow organically. That then had the piano layered on top to make it sound like it was all intentional. A few other swarming instruments were added in (from the same sample library used for the Blue Planet 2 soundtrack - Orchestral Swarm). The harsh heavy low strings were Swarm and Albion one running through different ostinatum patches (basically arpeggiators built into Spitfire libraries) with Action Strikes drums. A sheppard tone brought in some tension and then the riser was added in the break in the middle. Then lots of listening to it and constant tweaking of the bits I hated. It follows a similar formula to a lot of my tracks and I'm quite used to it now. The real talent is in the creation of those sound libraries in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 27/11/2017 at 23:24, Mornats said:

Cheers! It's all about layering sounds and instruments on top of each other. I started with Sound Dust Cloud Cello and made some semi-random noises with them, letting them flow organically. That then had the piano layered on top to make it sound like it was all intentional. A few other swarming instruments were added in (from the same sample library used for the Blue Planet 2 soundtrack - Orchestral Swarm). The harsh heavy low strings were Swarm and Albion one running through different ostinatum patches (basically arpeggiators built into Spitfire libraries) with Action Strikes drums. A sheppard tone brought in some tension and then the riser was added in the break in the middle. Then lots of listening to it and constant tweaking of the bits I hated. It follows a similar formula to a lot of my tracks and I'm quite used to it now. The real talent is in the creation of those sound libraries in my opinion.

:hi:

@MornatsSo, as this month's Winner, if you'd like to propose your picture for the next Challenge, send it by PM to either Skol303Lurksalot or to myself. Please note: As December's Challenge is themed on a 'cover' (composed or played during the year 2017...), the picture received will be used for the January 2018 Challenge. A great start to the New Year is thus guaranteed..! B|

OK, folks, the starter's pistol has sounded; get going on presenting your entries for the Special December '2017 Covers' Challenge.

(... and congratulations again to our Worthy Winner, Mornats, and to the no less Worthy Runners-up...)

Edited by Dad3353

Thank you very much everyone! I really enjoyed composing this one and this competition is really helping me learn and improve. All of the other entries are always inspirational. :) I'll get a picture sorted and will send it along for January's.

Something I forgot to mention about my track was that I was trying out a C octatonic scale which worked really well I thought. It's worth checking out all those uncommon scales.