Why become a member? ×

Help please.

DJpullchord

Hi, I’ve acquired a Marshall footswitch to change channel for my guitar amp (90s Marshall combo) and it ain’t working.

Is there an easy way to determine if it’s the footswitch that’s faulty, or a problem with the amp itself?

It seems there’s no power to the footswitch as there is an led that’s refusing to light up.

thanks.

i would have thought with an amp that age the switch literally is just a contact open or closed so any normal switch should work.

Do you have a multimeter for checking continuity ? 

Check across the tip and main body of the jack plug and try switching it to see if the meter signal changes.

I don't know this particular model tho and i'm no expert in amps so hopefully somebody with more technical knowledge will come along soon to help.

Dave

Not 100% sure but i think the circuitry is to stop switch noise ? 

If you know someone that repairs electronics i might be an easy fix and cheap to sort. Worth asking your local repair tech or guitar shop if they can help before forking out for a new one.

Is it the battery version or just a plain switch

Does it have 2 jack plugs or one ?

There are lots of schematics on line if you know someone that can solder. Doesn't look like much to most of them

It’s the Marshall pedl0009

theres no jacks but wired direct from a footswitch female jack in the amp. And powered from that so no batteries. It’s just to change channels. And a reverb switch that’s notoriously crap.

the pedal is discontinued so I’ll have to find what they’ve replaced it with........

Looking at your pedal i reckon the red wire should go to the centre pin on the left hand switch next to the blue wire.

You can see there's been solder on that centre pin.

I'm guessing there's only 1 led on your switch looking at the pic above.

I can't see an LED on any of the images i've seen on line for this pedal and the way the LED strip has been secured with gaffa tape would suggest its been added as a modification..

Oddly enough the schematic i did find shows the LED's in parallel with the cabling to the amp whereas your led is in series.

Hopefully someone on BC who knows about these things can clarify.

Dave