Why become a member? ×

Guitar as Bass

Yank

I find when I'm practicing new materiel i.e. figuring out the changes,  playing along to get the changes set in my brain,  I generally pick up an acoustic guitar and play the bottom strings.  I can hear the notes clearer in that octave.  Plus I don't need to set up an amp and don't disturb anyone with the volume.  Anyone else?

1 hour ago, Yank said:

I find when I'm practicing new materiel i.e. figuring out the changes,  playing along to get the changes set in my brain,  I generally pick up an acoustic guitar and play the bottom strings.  I can hear the notes clearer in that octave.  Plus I don't need to set up an amp and don't disturb anyone with the volume.  Anyone else?

Not these days no.  I used to do it when I was young and living in bedsit land though.  If I did it now, I'd still set up an amp but I'd mic up the acoustic and play through a sub harmonic or octaver effect just for brownie points.

5 hours ago, Yank said:

Nope

I have a Zoom and can simply play through headphones.

I think I'd re-consider my position on acoustic bass if I had a spot in a mariachi band but I wouldn't keep it near the bed for fear of mistaking it for a slipper and scaring myself half to death with the thought that I've shrunk!

If I wanted to practice during unsocial hours I think I'd go with headphones on my rig.  I am fortunate enough to have a well isolated practice space though so it never comes up really.

I'll mostly just play the bass without plugging it in.  I've got an acoustic bass, but the action on that is a lot more difficult than on any of electrics.  If I'm working stuff out or just practicing on my own then I don't care about the tone or amplified sound, and i hit the strings hard enough for the volume to not be a problem. 

Same for guitars, although I do tend to play my acoustic guitar at home more than the electrics, just because it sounds so nice.

The only time i tend to plug into an amp is if I'm playing along with a track and need the extra volume