Why become a member? ×

More Beatles more Beatles more Beatles

roceci

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

rather than start yet another Beatles thread thought I'd post in this one, anyone see the documentary on BBC4 the other week "Made on Merseyside"? I found it quite interesting, obviously done without official Beatles backing, no Lennon and Macca tracks played, but was really nice to see Pete Best in a good place and eventually getting his financial rewards, worth a look for any Beatles fans

6 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

rather than start yet another Beatles thread thought I'd post in this one, anyone see the documentary on BBC4 the other week "Made on Merseyside"? I found it quite interesting, obviously done without official Beatles backing, no Lennon and Macca tracks played, but was really nice to see Pete Best in a good place and eventually getting his financial rewards, worth a look for any Beatles fans

My band is supporting Pete Best's band in August at the 60th anniversary of the Casbah Club. Looking forward to meeting him, he is supposed to be a lovely guy. I'm not a Beatles fan in any way but looking forward to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linus27 said:

My band is supporting Pete Best's band in August at the 60th anniversary of the Casbah Club. Looking forward to meeting him, he is supposed to be a lovely guy. I'm not a Beatles fan in any way but looking forward to it.

Sounds great 😀

As this has been resurrected, I might as well say I actually quite like the Beatles now despite still having most of the same problems with em I had initially, especially Ringo's drumming.

6 minutes ago, roceci said:

Sounds great 😀

As this has been resurrected, I might as well say I actually quite like the Beatles now despite still having most of the same problems with em I had initially, especially Ringo's drumming.

I'm sure Pete would be delighted to hear that :lol:

19 hours ago, roceci said:

Sounds great 😀

It's only very recently I've cone to realise how crucial to that tight rock and roll sound in the early years Ringo was - some of the high quality Beatles film of the early 60s around shows it very clearly. Majorly underrated. McCartney has said part of the freedom for him to be creative on the bass stemmed from Ringo's approach.

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

Ringo wasn't a technical wizard on drums, but he changed the concept of the instrument for every drummer that came after. He introduced the idea of "lead" drumming. After Ringo, drummers could play anything.

Listen to Steve Gadd on 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover. There is a direct line from Ringo to the drum pattern on that song.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2019 at 10:32, chris_b said:

Ringo wasn't a technical wizard on drums, but he changed the concept of the instrument for every drummer that came after. He introduced the idea of "lead" drumming. After Ringo, drummers could play anything.

Listen to Steve Gadd on 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover. There is a direct line from Ringo to the drum pattern on that song.

Great point, I never thought of Ringo as a lead drummer but he totally is, Ticket to ride, Come together, Tomorrow never knows all great examples.

Just had a listen to 50 ways and I totally agree