Why become a member? ×

More Beatles more Beatles more Beatles

roceci

16 hours ago, The Jaywalker said:

As usual, it's degenerated to infantile sarcasm and insults, so I'll check out...

You didn't have to bring your infantile sarcasm and insults with you.  If you'd left them out you might have gotten somewhere.  You are still welcome if you can leave the condescending attitude at home.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Jaywalker said:

As usual, it's degenerated to infantile sarcasm and insults, so I'll check out. 

Don't check out dude, you always bring something musically different to the table. Sometimes delivered like a nuclear bomb, but always interesting. As it happens, I agree with you about the HG program (including the gaping whole regarding George Martin), so do a few of  the posters on that YouTube thread, it seems.

Carry on.

:D

Edited by lowdown
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bazztard said:

Sorry OP, but if you have no knowledge of The Beatles and their legacy then you DO NOT have a well rounded knowledge of music.

Those that rubbish Ringo's drumming just show their ignorance. 

I think it's pretty well rounded, but acknowledged there was a gap in my original post...

"I consider myself pretty well-rounded/versed when it comes to musical knowledge & listening experience past & present but there's always been a big Beatles-shaped hole in my knowledge"

...a hole which I'm attempting to fix (haha) by chucking my observations on here & inviting responses. Is that not allowed?

By your logic mind, how far back do we take this? Are we not qualified to think we know anything about modern music because we're not au fait with the great composers say who preceded it? It's a silly thing to say & pretty sanctimonious.

Also, how does not enjoying Ringo's drumming make me ignorant? It means I just don't like Ringo's drumming. To me, it seems you may be a tad over sensitive when it comes to anything Beatles, but unlike you, I'm fine with that being my impression & not making damning cast iron statements from it.

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I'll just put this out here...

Many fans of The Beatles on this thread are starting to sound much like my parents did when they went on about the "superiority" of classical music and how this new pop/rock wasn't proper music back in the early 70s.

Some of the haters, too. They're everywhere :-D

On 24/11/2017 at 10:14, roceci said:

They had some shocking songs that others consider sublime. Mostly Lennon's stuff.

Lennon's songs annoy me, they're either sneery or just all over the shop in a bad way.

Curious to know which of Lennon's songs you consider "shocking".

EDIT: Actually, forget that! I've reread your post and realise that it's not worth bothering with.

Edited by SteveK

In all fairness, the vast majority of what you call "classical" music is far and away more sophisticated and technically interesting than almost all pop/rock music - including prog, jazz/funk, whatever.

Whether that makes it superior is an entirely different and fruitless debate

• Like 1

The Beatles consistently produced ground breaking stuff.

Check out 

https://youtu.be/D-lqDjWchaQ

This you can tell heavily influenced the chemical brothers. I can hear 2 songs in there - setting sun and let forver be.

https://youtu.be/s5FyfQDO5g0

https://youtu.be/p5NX1FC-7-w

They used eastern musical instruments to create the desired effect, where now its technology / computers with modern dance acts.

It's funny to me how people are getting so worked up because of other peoples opinions.

Chill out! We don't all like the same thing. The world goes on!

If someone else dislikes something you do like, it shouldn't diminish your enjoyment. 

There is no "right" or "wrong", just opinion.

Edited by FuNkShUi

4 minutes ago, FuNkShUi said:

It's funny to me how people are getting so worked up because of other peoples opinions.

If someone else dislikes something you do like, it shouldn't diminish your enjoyment. 

I agree with the sentiment but BC would be a very boring place if people didn't try and justify their opinions, that's not to say we should start insulting each other, IMO (see what I did there :-) )that just polarises opinions.

48 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I agree with the sentiment but BC would be a very boring place if people didn't try and justify their opinions, that's not to say we should start insulting each other, IMO (see what I did there :-) )that just polarises opinions.

I'm all for discussion, and sharing opinions/ideas. Didn't mean that.

It's the people that seem to be getting upset and worked up because someones opinions doesn't match theirs.

1 hour ago, FuNkShUi said:

Indeed Kert!

Btw, what do you think of the Fab Four ;)

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

Curious to know which of Lennon's songs you consider "shocking".

EDIT: Actually, forget that! I've reread your post and realise that it's not worth bothering with.

I apologise that that didn't come thru clearly enough on your first read. I hope that I've not wasted your time by making you read thru 6 pages of peoples' opinions who took the time to have a proper discussion.

6 hours ago, roceci said:

Also, how does not enjoying Ringo's drumming make me ignorant? It means I just don't like Ringo's drumming. To me, it seems you may be a tad over sensitive when it comes to anything Beatles, 

Great thread, I like all these comments.

Funny, there's no bigger Beatles than me and I've never given much thought to Ringo's drumming. I'm a Beatles fan.

Blue

6 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I'll just put this out here...

Many fans of The Beatles on this thread are starting to sound much like my parents did when they went on about the "superiority" of classical music and how this new pop/rock wasn't proper music back in the early 70s.

Yup.

Mr. You had to be there aka Blue

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

That people have lived in to their 60s and beyond? 

They'll always be Beatles fans of course but they'll be on decline over the next twenty years. 

True enough, but the Beatles will never go away, they are part of music History now, love em or hate em.