Why become a member? ×

More Beatles more Beatles more Beatles

roceci

10 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I never gave any thought to John's singing. I was listening to "The Beatles"

It was all Fab.

Blue

I considered all four to be equals.  However, John's singing did stand out to me.  His voice had a unique rawness to it.  Now that I look back at it, though, I have to take the minority position of viewing George as my favorite ex-Beatle, considering that his solo albums (especially "All Things Must Pass and "Living in the Material World") were my favorites.  

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

Neal Peart, Buddy Rich and Jon Bonham are all great drummers, they brought something to the table but they didn't change the world of drumming. Ringo did and for that he needs recognition. There might be "better" drummers but Earl Palmer and Ringo Starr are the two most influential drummers in the last 70 years.

For me Dino from The Rascals (3 Italian & 1 Irish guy) was the first guy to take the drums to the next level for pop music.

Very progressive for 1966.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

Put it this way, the Beatles could have had almost any drummer they wanted, they wanted Ringo. When he walked out they begged him to come back. The feel of the songs would have been different with any other musician in there, not just Ringo.

You want to hear a live band absolutely nailing it? Go and see the latest Beatles film.  No click tracks, no monitors, poor PA systems....but perfect harmonies and a super tight band. Genius.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

One of the few things being born in 1953 was good for.

Being 10 years old in 63 was perfect timing. Before The Beatles most of my time was spent trying to figure out how to get more candy.

Blue

Yep, I was born in 52 and for a few years the world revolved around Britain, because of the Beatles.

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

I was a Stones fan but still had all the Beatles albums, singles and EP's. As a musician you had to, they were the source of most new ideas at the time. The Beatles started as a live Rock and Roll act, went through being a backing band and came out the other end as the biggest original band in the world. No one's ever likely to like all their output (even they didn't), as it stretches from I Saw Her Standing There to I Am The Walrus, through Yellow Submarine (!), but they constantly changed what was possible with every new song and record they put out. 

Lennon and McCartney were musical giants. Very few bands have survived to the first album with two such original talents on board. They had to fight each other for their space in the band and certainly weren't interested in giving George Harrison a fair crack. He got his token song on each album and as he said he was writing songs but not bringing them to the band. He did manage to write one of their most famous songs. As Frank Sinatra said, "Something is the best song Lennon and McCartney ever wrote!"  Forget the inaccuracy, that's some complement.

While Lennon and McCartney were busy re writing the rule book for popular music Ringo was redefining what was possible for a drummer to play. Earl Palmer changed the drum world in 1949 by starting the 2 and 4 snare drum pattern. Now you can't imagine music without that simple beat, but 2 and 4 didn't cut it in so many of the Beatles songs that Ringo had to come up with something that did and in so doing opened the door to creative drum patterns that have spread into every drummers repertoire. Neal Peart, Buddy Rich and Jon Bonham are all great drummers, they brought something to the table but they didn't change the world of drumming. Ringo did and for that he needs recognition. There might be "better" drummers but Earl Palmer and Ringo Starr are the two most influential drummers in the last 70 years.

Agreed, from beginning to end.

Ahh, Ringo's drumming.  Love it or hate it, it was perfect for The Beatles, it was an inherent part OF The Beatles.  In fact they all were really - one of those wonderful examples of where the whole is so much better than the sum of the parts.

EssentialTension's above video post says it all really, by people who actually know a thing or two about the subject, but I would just add the following video - 'serve the song, not your ego'.  Ringo did that in spades!

34 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Sometimes it's a McCartney thing, but if not Macca then it's Ringo usually.

But y'know, if only The Beatles had paid more attention to their critics. They might have ended up more than a minor footnote in history.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, roceci said:

Does every Beatles thread turn into a Ringo thing lol

You said, " Their entire catalogue is ruined by sh*te drumming. "It wouldn't have been the Beatles without Ringo" blah blah blah...if Ringo had raised his game, they'd have still had him & they'd have sounded better. "

I understand that you don't have to like him, but you don't seem to know or understand what he did and why he wasn't "sh*te" at any level. Ringo's qualities as a drummer were acknowledged before he even joined the Beatles. They picked him because he was regarded as the best drummer in Liverpool.

I don't know about the others but I'm just trying to help your musical education.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Didn't Dino Danelli become the fake Paul after McCartney's death?

B|

It would explain why the drumming is so good on the first McCartney solo album.

5c65a0d5ba43a48f5d0bd7f363b2e791--drumme

Thanks for reminding me.  It's years since I heard that conspiracy theory.  You might just have single handedly given this thread its second wind.  I hope your satisfied with yourself for that young man!

20 hours ago, ivansc said:

Charlie Watts was indeed playing a lot of hihat on Stones songs even back in 1964... Both Brian Bennett and Tony Meehan on the ride with the Shadows...Same with Brian Poole and the Tremeloes....  OK it looks like the turning point was around 1964 or 5. Interesting.

Clem Cattini was there as well. Actually, he often gets overlooked in the Rock world. Played on over a hundred singles/forty three number ones?.

One of the few Drummers at the time who could easily switch between straight 8's & swing 8's. (also one of the early Hi Hat adopters as well).

He was a regular at Abbey Road and EMI before the Beatles were making a big name for themselves.