Why become a member? ×

Is it time to replace the guard on my Precision?

Bridgehouse

I'm trying to decide whether to swap out the guard on my 64 Precision.

It has, obviously shrunk - it's not cracked anywhere, but the screws on the outer points definitely have some funky lean going on, and I'm trying to decide whether I should swap it out for a spitfire tort relic guard now and attach the old one to a piece of wood and stick in a sealed bag to pop into the case before it shrinks too much and cracks or splits.

I love it being all original, but I fear if I leave it on it will eventually crack. Mind you it probably will anyway at some point. 

So, leave on and let it crack then replace, or replace now and try to preserve it?

Would it affect the value much if it was cracked? Genuine question as I don't know about these things. 

I guess you have to decide how concerned you are with that, if you are ever planning to sell? 

I get that it's all original and that is cool! Have you had it long and has it shrunk much while in your ownership? 

I think if it was mine I'd go for the Spitfire now and preserve the original. It could always be swapped out for special occasions :) 

Out of interest, is there any way to check the date of a pick guard ?

@Dazed - don't know about value, and I don't have any intention of selling so I'm not that fussed by it. 

I've had it a year or so and no noticeable shrinkage as such, but these things are difficult to spot! Don't know if you can date a pick guard or not.. hmm.. I'm probably leaning towards doing it. 

I have exactly the same situation on 62, 64 & 65 Jazzes. The guards have been there 50-odd years, none are actually cracked yet, but undoubtedly showing signs of lean/lift. I haven't thought about changing them.

This is definitely a first-world problem, Mr B!!

Hmm, it's a tricky one this......
I know what you mean about liking it being "all original" and I'd probably be thinking that way myself
Would you be happy with replacement guard being on the bass? Or would that bother you? Perhaps get an opinion from a luthier you know and trust?

If nothing terrible has happened to it in the past few years, is anything likely to go awfully wrong now?
I've seen some guards with all sorts of cracks, chips, warping and splits, along with all sorts of surface marks a general "crud"
But to me, these are part of the history of the bass and part of its' mojo and allure....

But I think if this were me, I'd leave it alone unless it appeared there was going to be a major problem. Some warping & cracks in a guard aren't a "major problem" IMO
Heck it's a 50+ year old instrument :)

John at Bravewood restored my 64 Precision and ended up putting a beautifully aged replacement guard on it (he had to make a new body anyway as the previous owner had an accident with it and replaced it with a plywood body, of all things). I've had it side by side with an original in good condition and it's honestly indistinguishable. Even the bevels etc are a perfect match. 

12 minutes ago, therealting said:

John at Bravewood restored my 64 Precision and ended up putting a beautifully aged replacement guard on it (he had to make a new body anyway as the previous owner had an accident with it and replaced it with a plywood body, of all things). I've had it side by side with an original in good condition and it's honestly indistinguishable. Even the bevels etc are a perfect match. 

Good suggestion by therealting here :)
Someone who is good at ageing / relicing a pickguard may be another option
I recently saw a '60's vintage guard on ebay (Andy Baxter, I think) - and that was mega bucks (might even still be there)

Mark at Limelight does a superb job ageing pickguards on his superb Limelight basses
He's a nice bloke and helpful with it - perhaps you could drop him an email via his classicandcoolguitars website, and ask for a quote on one? I'm sure it'd be cheaper than a replacement original '64
Then you could safely store & preserve the original as you describe :)

Yep, thinking about it some more - I'd get a quote from Mark and go from there.....

Edited by Marc S

1 hour ago, GuyR said:

v nice bass, by the way.

Thanks! I probly should have posted a pic so people can see the guard. Ah what the hell..

WtKnZIX.jpg

And looking at that pic I kinda think "why the hell do I want to swap that tort?!"

If it does crack I'll just patch it up and keep it on. It's too pretty to swap out.

I'm a big fan of Mark at Limelight and have, shall we say, bought more than one of his creations. He is a master at the tort guard relic, but in all honesty I can't recommend his tort guards over Spitfire's. If an original vintage guard is shrinking and warping, wait until it's unusable before thinking about replacing it - it's going to shrink and warp anyway, whether it's on the bass or screwed to a board. And that tort on the OP's P Bass is superlative, it shouldn't be hidden! But then I like to buy toys and play with them, not keep them Mint In Box in a cupboard...

Edited by discreet

I've compared Bravewoods and Limelights and IMO there is no comparison - as you would expect given that Bravewoods are at least twice the cost. I still think they're excellent value though, cheaper than a Custom Shop and MUCH nicer to play, feel and look at. Given that you have a 64 Precision, like me, I'd suggest not skimping. 

The Spitfire stuff looks nice, but almost too pretty - doesn't look original to me... and it's ridiculously expensive. 

Well. 

Sometimes you have to be pragmatic.

The angle of the screws on the peripheries meant that the chances were that the pointy bits were going to crack and snap off. 

I pulled the screws for a look. The holes were basically disappearing under the guard and the screws must have been putting a huge load of tension on the points. 

So. Big boy trousers on. Decision to make. Screw the value. If the guard cracks it will be similar anyway. It's a lovely bit of tort and I want it to stay. So. New holes drilled through the metal plate and into the body. Screws refitted and they are level and flush. No more tension in them just a snug fit. 

Only had to do 4 screws like this. I reckon it will give me 20 years or so (hopefully!)

Yeah. It's got 4 new holes in the body. Oh well. In the grand scheme of things for original uncracked tort that will have no meaningful effect on value. Plus it's a keeper. It's going nowhere. I keep the original tort without fear of it going at the points.

There.

13 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

New holes drilled through the metal plate and into the body. Screws refitted and they are level and flush. No more tension in them just a snug fit. Only had to do 4 screws like this. I reckon it will give me 20 years or so (hopefully!). Yeah. It's got 4 new holes in the body. Oh well. In the grand scheme of things for original uncracked tort that will have no meaningful effect on value. Plus it's a keeper.

Something had to happen. You bought yourself some time. :)