Why become a member? ×

My eyes, my eyes! (Gibson crime).

spectoremg

On 24 November 2017 at 19:43, Jack said:

I quite like it from the nut down. The headstock is odd though. Not that it's overly bad, it's just that the angular head doesn't match the curvy body. Actually, I met someone like that once....

That surely is the Gibson thing! The EB2/335 is as curvy as it's possible to be with the classic square shape headstock, similarly the EB0/SG  save for the pointed horns.........  Then there is all the Jazz guitars and the flat top jumbos, I rest my case!

Edited by Grahambythesea
Spelling mistake

On 24/11/2017 at 11:40, Grahambythesea said:

I've recently bought the 5 string 2013 EB and I really like its looks and it plays superbly, is feather weight and balances really well. 

The fiver is very much on my radar at the moment (I'm really liking the natural ash finish) but would mean distance buying with no chance to try first.

Don't suppose there's any chance you could let me know string spacing and nut width and also whether you'd describe the neck as shallow or deep front to back?

Would be much appreciated :).

On 11/24/2017 at 19:38, spectoremg said:

If your fave trolleys had a giant codpeice would it make a difference?

On 11/24/2017 at 19:43, Jack said:

I quite like it from the nut down. 

:laugh1:

GAK are doing a crazy price on the 5 string, I assume it is because they are now discontinued

Edited by Delberthot

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

If my amp sells, i’ll Have one for that kind of money!

I just have got one for this kind of money (thanks Mrs Painy for the early Christmas present)! :D

No one home to take delivery tomorrow though so it's being delivered Saturday morning. 

Edit:

Just £399 including fitted hardcase and next day delivery for a USA built Gibson in case you're wondering!

Edited by Painy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

So I presume you will be posting pics of a £70 Harley Benton’s on every Thread that shows some Fender for £*&#@?

I think the Teisco bass came before the Gibson. I think Spectormg is suggesting it's where Gibson got their inspiration.

Pretty sure that's a 60s/70s model.

15 minutes ago, Cato said:

I think the Teisco bass came before the Gibson. I think Spectormg is suggesting it's where Gibson got their inspiration.

Pretty sure that's a 60s/70s model.

Really? It looks nothing like it, head is completely different shape, only vague similarity in pick guard -as the case with many basses, and generic bass shape, again common across many many makers

Gigged mine for the first time last night.

Very different sound and feel to my Squier VM P5 which is pretty much my perfect bass (don't care that it's an 'affordable' bass - it sounds and plays perfectly for me) but I got this for a bit of variation so that's actually a plus.

I definitely find the slightly less chunky neck and more radiused board of the precision easier to play and it is much brighter, aggressive and more articulate than the Gibson which is generally what I want for most of what we play.

For a fair few songs in our set though, that brightness can just be too harsh and what's needed is a bit more muscle. This fulfills that role brilliantly! Much darker with fuller lows than the precision but also a big big low mid punch.

I actually found that I preferred it with the neck pickup coil-tapped though as that added a touch more clarity to the notes without losing the character of the bass.

While I do find the precision neck a bit more comfortable personally, playability is still very good and I really enjoyed using it at the gig.

I even like the way it looks :D.

Took mine to Friday night's gig and lasted about 5 songs with it before putting it back in its case and using the Sterling for the rest of the weekend.

I can't get rid of the distorted sound. I have the input pad in on my amp, the volume controls on the bass aren't on full. The overall volume is the same as my Sterling. My wireless isn't clipping either so I can't figure out what is causing it so it's going back.

It's a shame as I really liked the way it played.

Another odd thing is that I tried new strings on it the same gauge as the ones on my Sterling with a 135 B string and they felt really loose. Switch back to the Sterling and the tension is prefect