Why become a member? ×

My eyes, my eyes! (Gibson crime).

spectoremg

20 minutes ago, Tonteee said:

Curious, I wandered over to Gibson's website for a peruse, and ended up on their user forum.  Seems even hardened Gibsonites can't decide if the 2017 EB is fugly or not... http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/136226-does-anyone-like-the-2017-eb-bass/

That guy 'old mark' who says he really likes the white one isn't me, by the way. :D

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Hard to believe so many people are that bothered by what a bass looks like. They play well and sound good, what's not to like? I play my Fender Precisions far more than the EB4, but it's still a good bass.

Actually I do care what a bass looks like. If your fave trolleys had a giant codpeice would it make a difference?

20 minutes ago, Jack said:

I quite like it from the nut down. The headstock is odd though. Not that it's overly bad, it's just that the angular head doesn't match the curvy body. Actually, I met someone like that once....

Do you prefer something like that: 

171124090321988413.png?

Edited by totorbass
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, discreet said:

Huh, that's only because ALL your trolleys have giant codpieces, or something.

I was lost from the word 'trolleys' to be honest. As I have no idea what they are, the presence or otherwise of a giant codpiece doesn't really matter.

Initially I was quite scathing about the latest "EB" bass (come on Gibson, would it kill you to come up with a new name?) but they're bringing out a stealthy black finish for it and I really like it. Might even get one. I miss how my gold EB (2014) sounded and so this one with the same pickups, electronics and basic construction should sound similar. 

The 2013-14 EB which eye-abraded the OP is not the prettiest bass I've ever seen, but it is also far from the worst. But that's just my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, discreet said:

I have a number of bass cases and gig bags around the house which have become part of the furniture. Some may have basses in, some may not... it's called 'hiding in plain view'...

I may well steal  adopt this idea

• Like 1

know that many members think that Gibson can't build basses, and having in the past owned a '66 EB2 which played like a dog I might have agreed, but the EB described here as a "monstrosity " is very well built. Take a look at the top of the neck with its volute and the amazing Babiscz bridge. Who ever designed this put some thought into it. You may not like the body shape (which isn't so different from Fender's Dimension) but it works. The slightly extended upper rear bout tucks under the arm perfectly and I suspect contributes to the excellent balance countering possible neck dive as its so light.

May be critics should try out an instrument before slagging it?

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Grahambythesea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1