Why become a member? ×

PiL- Metal Box 38 years!

Highfox

36 minutes ago, JellyKnees said:

Still have it in it's original now very dull tin box. One of the few bits of vinyl that I still pull out  occasionally and listen to. One of my all time favourite records...

Still got mine too. Bought the pic sleeve version as well so I didnt need to play the metal box version anymore. Great album. Well ahead of its time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

Still got mine too. Bought the pic sleeve version as well so I didnt need to play the metal box version anymore. Great album. Well ahead of its time.

Yes, I did that as well, 2nd Edition had the bonus of lyrics on the sleeve as well.

My Metal box looking rather sad, like me :)

38602198301_3abde4b29b_c.jpg

Edited by Highfox

My tin is pretty corroded and the track-sheet disappeared at some point but the vinyl is still flawless. I have Second Edition too, but the bass extension isn't even close. 45 rpm for the extra 6dB of win! For some reason though, I tend to play Flowers of Romance more often even though there's no bass on it. 

Edited by radiophonic
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

My tin is pretty corroded and the track-sheet disappeared at some point but the vinyl is still flawless. I have Second Edition too, but the bass extension isn't even close. 45 rpm for the extra 6dB of win! For some reason though, I tend to play Flowers of Romance more often even though there's no bass on it. 

If the kids misbehaved in the car, I used to put Flowers of Romance album on. It ensured a quiet journey after that! ? Great album but they really didn't appreciate it!

Edited by itsmedunc
Edit text
  • Like 1

Guest Jecklin
22 hours ago, Highfox said:

38 years ago today Metal Box was released and kickstarted my Bass playing journey.

Thanks Wobble!

On a slight tangent.

Is Jah Wobble using a fretless ampeg bass in that clip or is it fretted?

I can't tell on my phone screen

Gotta love PIL, I used to  drive my mum to distraction by playing "Blue Water" at full volume because I knew how much she hated it

I remember the video for Rise being on the chart show one Saturday morning, my mum shot in the living room and started shouting that he was raving mad and he was not suitable viewing for my sister (who was at least 14 years old at that point!) before stomping off back to the kitchen to get on with the washing or cooking or whatever parents do when you were 17 years old!

I am sure she still has a soft spot for him now she is in her eighties, I may give Blue Water a spin for her when she comes over this Christmas :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

Always keen to hear new stuff, I was intrigued enough by the enthusiasm shown in this topic to give 'em a whirl through their Youtube presence. Luckily, I was doing other stuff at the same time, so I didn't completely waste my afternoon. Good gracious; I knew, several decades ago, a few folks that would listen to stuff like this, but they've, for the most part, either stopped smoking that stuff now and got their life back, or are dead from over-use. In any case, I couldn't stand more than half an album or two; I completed none. Would I do it again..? Ha..! :dash1:

Still, I did learn some new stuff, but I'm not so keen, now. How odd..! :|

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Always keen to hear new stuff, I was intrigued enough by the enthusiasm shown in this topic to give 'em a whirl through their Youtube presence. Luckily, I was doing other stuff at the same time, so I didn't completely waste my afternoon. Good gracious; I knew, several decades ago, a few folks that would listen to stuff like this, but they've, for the most part, either stopped smoking that stuff now and got their life back, or are dead from over-use. In any case, I couldn't stand more than half an album or two; I completed none. Would I do it again..? Ha..! :dash1:

Fair play to you Dad for giving it a spin.

It's certainly an aquired taste! One thing about Pil is that the sound was nearly always changing and never really stood still.

They had some catchy tunes at times, like Rise and this is not a love song, but for the most part stayed away from the norm.

I personally like the first 3 or 4 Albums, but even as a fan stopped buying the records mid-90's :) Anyway for me Metal box and Wobble turned me onto bassplaying and I like a lot of the solo stuff he has done since his Pil days, so not wasted on me .

19 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I don't smoke anything. I love PiL.

Sorry.