Why become a member? ×

New Years Eve Fees

dazza14

10 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I'm thinking that's by design. I thought The Wirebirds we're always wor.king.

Blue

We had a NYE booking (same place as the last 2 years) but had to cancel as our guitarist is going home for Christmas. As home is a small island in the middle of the South Atlantic, he'll be away for 6 weeks or so. So our last gig of the year is this Saturday.

I did get a booking from the venue for another band I'm involved with, but the venue have decided not to have live music this NYE.

4 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

must admit I'd be very wary of a fee that included free drinks, in my experience drunk band members do not put in a good performance

My usual for a night is one pint of cider then it's diet cokes for the rest of the evening.

All of our band drive and none of us would be stupid enough to drink and drive.

3 minutes ago, steantval said:

My usual for a night is one pint of cider then it's diet cokes for the rest of the evening.

All of our band drive and none of us would be stupid enough to drink and drive.

that's fair enough, no reason for the fee to include free drinks then, but if some members aren't driving and it's free drinks don't be surprised at the result

6 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

that's fair enough, no reason for the fee to include free drinks then, but if some members aren't driving and it's free drinks don't be surprised at the result

A pint of cider and four diet cokes cost about £12 to £13 around our way, times that by four band members and it's well worth negotiating that as part of the gig deal.

8 hours ago, FinnDave said:

We had a NYE booking (same place as the last 2 years) but had to cancel as our guitarist is going home for Christmas. As home is a small island in the middle of the South Atlantic, he'll be away for 6 weeks or so. So our last gig of the year is this Saturday.

I did get a booking from the venue for another band I'm involved with, but the venue have decided not to have live music this NYE.

Got it, just stuff happens.

Our leader was I'll for a while so we had to cut back. She's better now and I believe we're going to start booking more and getting back up to speed.

Me, I'm looking forward to some 3 gig weekends. That's where it's at for me.

Blue

7 hours ago, discreet said:

A pro function band I was in a while back got £5000 for NYE, but that was at Grosvenor Park Hotel and it was a 9-piece band. Plus, I furiously stuffed my face like there was no tomorrow, which there very nearly wasn't. Blooargh! vomit.png

That's big bucks. I think it's big bucks, I haven't done the math. 9 peice is a big split.

Blue

Blue

I've normally got about £150-£200 a person for NYE gigs in the past.

This year is the first one in a long time when I'm not going to be playing (unless something dramatic comes up in next couple of weeks!) and I'm quite looking forward to being with my family for a change, tho I'll miss the money!

This year we have gone for £1200.00 on the basis that its not worth our time and effort to go out for less.  We went out and out for a cold and  corporate event at a venue we don't like playing to the point we will avoid, and were surprised to not only get the gig, but get our asking fee with the arrangement that its all paid up front.

None of our usual pubs  would entertain paying that amount. Between playing to a nice full pub for half that and the NYE gig we are booked on, I'd rather do a happy and  packed pub for less  but I am but one member of the band and the general consensus this year was "take the money." We can't guarantee a pub is going to be packed, plus not all in my band would be happy to take just £120.00 each for NYE.

We have done NYE in pubs the last few years but we have had disappointing turn outs.  We have asked for £800-£1000, and its been a bit embarrassing asking for the lolly at the end of the night.  Weather the poor turn out is down to us, the pub, the landlord charging on the door ect I don't know, but seeing as we do ok under normal circumstances the rest of the year, we have gone for take the corporate pound this year.

I think a fair amount is to ask a pub is for double what you usually get. If its busy and a great night , you had a great gig and the landlord made some cash. If its half empty its an easier pill to swallow for the landlord when handing over the cash.

In a previous band that practically guaranteed a packed pub whenever we played it was never that busy on NYE. The pub wanted to charge on the door/ in advance. People would say, why pay more when we see them every other week for free?

We're playing the same pub for the third year running. We'll get twice what they usually pay, plus a few pints for those in the band that drink (although none of them drink much at gigs) and will probably end up with £110 each. And we're happy. The pub should be busy,  it has been both times before, but it still only holds as as many people as it does the rest of the year when it's busy so I think paying us twice the usual amount ifs fair. They don't charge entry, if they did I might think differently.  It's a strict 12.00 finish due to noise constraints, no dragging on with "Oh please keep going" so overall we're happy to do it. And if I can get next year on the way out like I did last year, I'll take it. I have never been a great one for going out NYE to parties, so playing with my mates in a pub I like with a good natured crowd for £100+ is fine with me. Sooner that than sat indoors watching Jules Holland.

Cue the usual suspects telling me I'm devaluing music and taking the bread from their mouths and the shoes from their children's feet :)

Edited by phil.c60

2 hours ago, bassjim said:

We have done NYE in pubs the last few years but we have had disappointing turn outs.  We have asked for £800-£1000, and its been a bit embarrassing asking for the lolly at the end of the night.  

Not NYE, but we had a $1,200.00 for our 4 peice.

Great little venue out in the sticks a little south of St.Paul Minisota.

We did not know there was a $10.00. Turn out was a bust, but somehow they came up with the cash. It was however an awkward situation.

Our rule has always been we won't play a place that charges a cover. We're a bar band people shouldn't have to pay to see us.

The cover at the door thing has been dead for decades at the bar band level in my neck of the woods.

Blue

Normal gig fees for us would have been £250 or £300. Nobody in our 5 piece would do a NYE gig for only double, £100 or £120

Its simply isn't worth leaving  family and friends for that amount.  3 x times normal gig fees and they'd think about it

3 hours ago, bassjim said:

We have done NYE in pubs the last few years but we have had disappointing turn outs.  We have asked for £800-£1000, and its been a bit embarrassing asking for the lolly at the end of the night.  

Not NYE, but we had a $1,200.00 for our 4 peice.

Great little venue out in the sticks a little south of St.Paul Minisota.

We did not know there was a $10.00. Turn out was a bust, but somehow they came up with the cash. It was however an awkward situation.

Our rule has always been we won't play a place that charges a cover. We're a bar band people shouldn't have to pay to see us.

The cover at the door thing has been dead for decades at the bar band level in my neck of the woods.

Blue

40 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Normal gig fees for us would have been £250 or £300. Nobody in our 5 piece would do a NYE gig for only double, £100 or £120

Its simply isn't worth leaving  family and friends for that amount.  3 x times normal gig fees and they'd think about it

Between the two of us, I'd rather be gigging (my band mates are friends anyway) than sat at home any night of the year!

I was always first to volunteer for Christmas and New Year duty when I was in TV news as at least I wasn't stuck at home with the bloody telly on!

14 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Between the two of us, I'd rather be gigging (my band mates are friends anyway) than sat at home any night of the year!

I was always first to volunteer for Christmas and New Year duty when I was in TV news as at least I wasn't stuck at home with the bloody telly on!

That's where I'm at too.

Put me in a packed bar full of live rock music fans with my band and I feel at home.

Blue

Since we're talking about money and some if you know I love sharing this story.

There is this couple that come out to see our band. On 2 separate occasions they have tipped each band member and our sound person $100.00 each.

That's crazy, a little embarrassing, awkward and awesome cool at the same time.

I know our cultures are different on tipping. Over here had we tried to refuse the tip it would have been considered insulting.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

My group loves to haggle themselves down, the group before at the year before last we did £600 which was supposed to be for 2 x 1 hour sets, plus free food and drinks. As it was it was a weird night and they didn't want us to continue after midnight so we did about 1.5 hours for that!

Last year was £450 but we did our (for this group) usual 3 hours, and there are 4 of us instead of 3 in the last group, so pay wasn't as good, but we did a gig in the afternoon too so that evened it out.