Why become a member? ×

Signal limiter suggestions

randythoades

Hi chaps, I don't know what it is I am asking for or what I actually need but I have a problem that I haven't managed to solve so far. I play with a pick and vary my attack according to the dynamics of each song or parts of songs which works well overall, as well as using a lot of palm muting and 'tic' 'tac' type playing, but occasionally I get a bit carried away pinging open strings which tend to resonate louder than my fretted notes (particularly open E) which then distorts.

I play a violin bass direct into PA (Behringer XR16) through Tech 21 VT Bass DI with only a TC Electronic Sub n Up octave pedal for occasional use and use In ear Monitors, no amp at all for the most part which probably doesn't help as the signal is distorting digitally I suspect rather than causing a nice warm distortion through amp. I have adjusted the gain on the PA input to what I think is appropriate for most things but unless I have the level set much too low for most uses, I can't get rid of the spike I get from the open E (and A too, but mostly E).

Is there any pedal that I can use to tame the maximum input whilst leaving the rest unaffected for me to vary my dynamic? I did try playing with around TC Electronic Spectracomp but it seemed to squash what I was already doing too much even with very minor use.

Otherwise it will be me having to knuckle down and control my exuberance on my playing...

Kind regards Simon

Looks like I have answered my own question in that the Boss LMB-3 seems to do what I need. I assumed it was a compressor that squished both ends but doing a search on here (oops should have done it before...) you should be able to limit the top volume  without squeezing the lower notes.

Thanks for looking!

The Spectracomp will do it but will require finding the right Toneprint or putting in the effort to make your own.

The Keeley Bassist work really well as a clean transparent limiter since it has a ratio control that goes up to infinity for brick wall limiting, and threshold and output controls.