Why become a member? ×

"ALEMBIC COPY" - STEER CLEAR!!

TheGreek

No sooner do I send this back to the seller than it's back on eBay. I paid £300 for this before returning it to the seller because of the unbelievably poor quality. This is almost certainly the worst Bass I've ever played.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALEMBIC-STYLE-LIGHTWEIGHT-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-NATURAL-FINISH/192371066856?hash=item2cca3587e8:g:PtwAAOSwRFdZur96

Firstly it's made of something other than wood - the top is merely a sticker, not a real laminate. The weight is in the region of 5-6lbs which should automatically get the grey matter questioning it's origins.

The seller acknowledges that the hardware isn't metal - gold coloured plastic(?) - can't see why you'd use anything other than metal. The action is far too high and the individual bridges are at the maximum/minimum adjustment so can't be lowered. I wouldn't want to try to adjust them anyway as they are made of the aforementioned coloured plastic. The alignment of said bridges are out so the E string is almost falling off the fretboard - check the photos. Adjusting the bridges to make them work properly would require repositioning the screws in a body made of something other than wood.

The ad says the bass is chambered - I think the body is actually made of something like MDF. The neck is also NOT wood - tap it and it sounds hollow. The fretboard may be real timber but it isn't what appears to be Ebony. When I unboxed the bass the nut holding the jack socket on fell off. I put it back on using a spanner but only managed maybe 2 turns. The pick ups are monotone - no matter what you do they don't change the tone - so little difference with full bass on/off.

Seller says "independent luthier" - I'd say cheapest possible copy ever - maybe even a promotional wall art piece - it is not usable as a musical instrument.

Currently on sale for £250 - worth less than £10 I'd say...

There are so many issues with this that I implore you all - stay away!!

alembic copy.jpg

3 hours ago, timhiggins said:

It's a tad over-priced. Love the use of the word "custom" (so often code for "homemade sh1t". 500 sovs?  Bargain...

Edited by Dan Dare