Why become a member? ×

Best strings purely for arco?

tommyjamesallen

I've been using Belcanto for some time now and I've always liked them for both arco and pizz. I'm due a new set and since I now have two nice Basses, I'm thinking that I'll keep one  Bass with Helicore hybrids, which are great for a bit of everything, though for my taste not that great for arco. For my other Bass I was thinking I'd just get some new Belcantos, as I've always liked them under the bow. But before I splash out I thought I'd ask for opinions on peoples favorite strings, primarily for arco.

Thanks.

I've used Bel Cantos for a while. Very nice strings. For orchestral playing, Flexocor Originals are also very nice, dark and smooth tone. I've recently put a set of D'Addario Kaplan Light on Meghan and I have to say they are absolutely fabulous. Bright and lively without being too in your face, lovely fundamental and easy buttery feel. It all comes down to what suits you and your bass.

Thanks for your advice Neilp.  I'm liking the idea of those flexocore originals, dark and smooth sounds like it could work well for me on my bass, more so than the brighter Kaplans, though I'm intrigued by the "buttery feel". I was wondering if the flexocore deluxe are much the same as the originals? They seem a little cheaper. It's always an expensive step into the unknown trying new strings. I might try and see if I can find a way of trying some out first. Or I could always ask father Christmas. Thanks.

The Flexocor Deluxe are a slightly brighter string than the Original Flexocor and they complement darker sounding basses well, both work well under the bow. If you want to try either type of Flexocor and you can get into us in Derby, we have both variants fitted and available to try on Eastman basses. Although this won't help you know how they will sound on your bass it will give you a feel for them.

• Like 1