Why become a member? ×

Warwick Jazzman - Streamer or FNA?

SJ_Lux

Hi guys,

As far as I can see, apart from the shape the only difference between these two is that the Streamer has Warwick electronics instead of MEC. I've only played the FNA and love it.

Can anyone say which bass/electronics is better? I'm not too keen on the fat top horn of the Streamer.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by SJ_Lux

The preamp and pickups are the same on Jazzman models. They both use the MEC BECIII-2 3way electronics. 

The difference is the body either Streamer or FNA/Corvette shape. 

The choice is down to personal preference really. 

• Thanks 1

I know what you mean. It's hard to judge on videos and sounds clips. 

It seems you need to try a few different types  before you decide. 

Although if you buy a used one and aren't happy you should be able to sell it for the same. 

To be honest you could get two identical models of any bass and you'll probably find they sound / feel slightly different! 

Good luck on your quest! 

• Like 1

If the Streamer is a neck through that would seal it for me. 

Maybe if you posted a little more detail it might be easier?

I know you're maybe thinking, if you post links someone may jump on it before you, but price and any other info, such as the necks might help us to give a better opinion; if that's what you're looking for. If it helps, Streamers usually fetch more than Corvettes, but the FNA usually fetches more than a normal Corvette.... but you might know this.

Brass just-a-nut 3 can be bought and added for about £50.

If it has a 2 piece bridge then it's a good bass. I would go for the Streamer if it's a 2 piece bridge.

This comes after owning both Streamer Stage 1 and an FNA.

Edited by Grangur
  • Thanks 1

I've got a Streamer Stage 1 and  a Streamer JM, they are very different beasts. I like the Streamer shape a lot, it's exceedingly comfortable, even if some of the contours aren't to everyone's tastes. As mentioned already, the only difference between the FNA and Streamer JM is the body shape. Both are bolt-on with the same electronics.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.

Yes, it’s a two-piece bridge, 2004 model.

Changing the nut could be cool..I’ll see if I feel it needs extra brightness in the sound or bling in the look, and then see how hard it is to change it over.

i don’t like the fat upper horn and would prefer a wenge neck but in the grand scheme of things other points are more important.

I’ll post back if I buy with my thoughts on the bass once it arrives ??

Other things to consider are the year of build. Warwick neck profiles have considerable changes over the years! 

Generally pre 1992 were slim in depth, nut width depends on the model. Between '92 and '98 was a mix of all sorts. From '98 until 2009 were the fat years!! Some really dislike these and are often referred to as baseball bats. Post '09 the slim profile became the standard again and are much more consistent due to modern construction techniques. 

My pick would be the Streamer too, I'm not a fan of the Corvette / FNA bodyshape. I play a 2003 Streamer LX5 with a hefty piece of ovangkol for a neck, and despite being rather fat and almost square in places, it's really comfortable to play. I love the punch and growl too! I would like to add a Jazzman 5 at some point, if I can find an affordable used lefty. 

Erm, my first bass was a Washburn B2 which has a similar fast-to-me neck profile to the easy-to-play Ibanez I've got sitting around here somewhere.

My current and former Precisions' rounder profile is much slower for me to play...I mean, harder for me to play fast.

Longer-scales and even 34" I tend to need to try to lift the head up to give me better access to play fast at the low end, for example on RHCP's Suck My Kiss.

It's hard to say, depends on your precision ;) 

have a a look at this in the Warwick site. It might be helpful, but these are the current specs that can be requested, not older versions. 

http://www.warwick.de/en/Warwick---Products--Instruments--Customshop---Masterbuilt--Options--Neck--Neck-profile.html#D0242328001364908909A61

I used to own a FNA Jazzman (2004).  I thought it was great.  It was a 5 string and I thought it was a decent B string.  I had (still have) a Thumb NT 5 at the same time and I much preferred the old/flat neck profile the Thumb has than the baseball bat profile of the FNA.  It was a great gigging bass but I fancied a Stage 2 and traded it for that.  Its a totally different bass so no point comparing them.  But lets just say it was like jumping from a good Japanese car to a high performing German beast.

But I have no experience with the Streamer Jazzman.  I would think there are different body woods but other things should be similar (neck profile?).  So it comes down to what body shape do you prefer and I guess price/availability.  I like anything Warwick so I would have to toss a coin between these two but I liked my FNA and would not hesitate to get another one but then again I have not tried the Streamer Jazzman so might prefer to try that.

Too many basses to try, these 1st world problems are so bad. 

• Thanks 1

On 25/11/2017 at 02:32, SJ_Lux said:

Thanks everyone.

This evening I ended up going for a NOS 2001 Corvette Jazzman for €1100 that I saw in my nearest shop. This is the bass whose sound made me start to look at Warwicks.

I appreciate your time and the advice.

Simon.

Sorry, but what's "NOS" ?