Why become a member? ×

Possible scam - this original 66 Mustang or Mikey Way Squire body?

Duroc17

Bought this from a London shop with good reputation for vintage guitars and paid a fair whack for it too (bought it online without playing) - but less than one with original colour bass - someone said the finish looked like the Squire Mikey Way signature bass - i asked the shop owner about the previous history and he bought it saying that previous owner had just had it resprayed. I'm now slightly worried that I've bought a squire with 66 neck and Frankenstein of parts - thing is it plays and sounds absolutely great - my gut is that this is a 66 bod with respray (see image 2), as why would you go to all the trouble of marrying everything together- what do you think?

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

Nice looking bass. Looks like it was originally Olympic White... (possibly black looking on the right edge of the neck pocket)

Can't imagine the racing stripes on a Mikey Way would be easily removed to leave a finish like that, and the Mikey Way seems more silver to me than this.

EDIT - what's the pickup rout like?

Edited by Bigwan
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, charic said:

cbe668b937f280d3fc9fa7a577d9bd91.jpg

Haven't seen close up photos but from what I've seen the Mikey Way Mustang seems to have a silver finish with a black fleck. OP's bass certainly isn't that...

Edit: reasonably good pics here of the Mikey Way finish: https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/retro-bass-guitars/squier-mikey-way-mustang-bass-rosewood-fretboard-large-flake-silver-sparkle

Doesn't look the same to me.

Edited by Bigwan
  • Thanks 1

That is a blinder of a bass, and not doing anything to help my Mustang/Musicmaster GAS either. Knowing where you got it from, I would say there is very very little chance in it not being original. That is a very cool refin, and you have a very unique bass there. Enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Git! Gonna need more info than that G!

Well, you’ll never guess what colour it is......

it was the one going in the Bassist Ireland classifieds. Made in 2004/2005. In great nick bar a ding near the 3rd fret dot on the E string side. Sounds and plays heavenly. Tone up it can do a good Maiden clank, tone down it’s a glorious soulful thump. It’s a different old school vibe than my Precision with flats. Not better or worse, but simply awesome. I am in love.

Sorry for the thread hijack OP.