Why become a member? ×

Amp head advice for Sansamp

Didg

I've started using a Sansamp Deluxe and two basses. Obviously where venues have foldback I don't need to use any backline but for smaller venues I'm looking to buy a lightweight head to use with one or two 2x12 or 2x10 cabs that would be suited to Sansamp use.

So an FX return to bypass the pre amp and where EQ is needed to adjust for room frequencies that need cutting / boosting, either a graphic or sweepable EQ section, but I don't need anything else. I play mostly Alt Rock / Pop Punk.

I initially thought the Ashdown Retroglide 800 looked to be ideal but I've read that they are very quiet for an 800w amp and that the fan is very noisy.

I'm currently using an '80's Trace Elliot head which I bought new and I'm completely out of the loop regarding modern amp heads. I would like to go down the small / lightweight route though.

Any advice appreciated...

41 minutes ago, Didg said:

Bridgehouse, what powered speaker cab do you use and can you use it for backline when not going through the PA?

A cab that could be used for backline and also a wedge monitor would be ideal.

QSC K10.2 - the 12.2 might suit you better

Powered wedge (nominally 2000w peak) with 3 inputs and DSP for profiling.

Can be used for backline, monitoring, and a combination. For proper backline I'd use a pair and you could use stereo effects

Retroglide 800 works fine for me.  Fan is noisy, but only for very quiet settings, it really isn’t a problem in any gig situation.  I just use the graphic to adjust to the sound of the room.  Paired with a single TKS S112 it’s great..with two it’s deafening ?