Why become a member? ×

Strings for semiacoustic - semihollow bass

johnpaulbass

Hello,

I just bought myself a very nice Eastwood Classic 4 bass and I'm very happy with it. Since I like to put fresh strings on my every new purchase ans since beying my Eastwood my first proper semihollow bass I would like to hear from you guys which strings do you put on your semihollow basses ?

Or if you have a reference link, site or blog where I can see/hear comparations and tests.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marko

Hi, I had an Ibanez semi acoustic bass - very nice it was too
My son really liked it, so I donated it to him....
I'm not sure what brand of strings it came with, but whatever they were, they were great

As replacement, I got some D'Addario phosphor bronze strings from someone on BC
My local guitar shop had told me the strings on the Ibanez would have been D'Addario....
However, they definitely weren't quite the same.... for a start, the original strings were a slightly heavier gauge,
and the D'Addarios were good, but not quite as "meaty" as those original strings....

I would definitely go for Phosphor Bronze strings though - they sound much better on an acoustic bass
A pal of mine has exactly the same bass, but puts roundwounds on (he did try flats on it once, and didn't like them)
the "ordinary" rounds didn't sound anywhere near as good as the phosphor bronze strings....

I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows what strings my old Ibanez came with...
But also interested to hear your thoughts on using different strings on your bass too
I might be tempted to get an electro-acoustic again one day..... If I can make enough room in my house for another bass! lol

i had a Yamaha BEX4 a while ago and the previous owner had been using D'addario nickel xl's, i didn't like them at all, i ended up fitting D'addario nylon tapewounds which sounded great.

what type of strings are currently on the eastwood?

Matt 

2 hours ago, Matt P said:

i had a Yamaha BEX4 a while ago and the previous owner had been using D'addario nickel xl's, i didn't like them at all, i ended up fitting D'addario nylon tapewounds which sounded great.

what type of strings are currently on the eastwood?

Matt 

Hello Matt.. thanks for the Tip. Well since I've got it from ebay I don't know. They're not flats for sure. They sound pretty decent though but I'm more incline to put flats on it I must say.

Which are the alternative for the tapwounds from D'Addario ?

Edited by johnpaulbass

cool.

here's also a good explanation:

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/2648/tapewound-strings-on-an-electric-bass

Had A Yamaha bex4 myself some time ago and a Washburn ab40, both equipped with tapewoods. Since the "nature" of the instruments both felt right on them.. dunno if it will be the same on the Eastwood though...

5 minutes ago, johnpaulbass said:

Also would oyu think that the "bronze" ones as someone mentioned above will be a good choice ? Personally i really don't think so.. I fear that there will be a lot of "buzzing"...

No, there's no more buzzing from Phosphor Bronze strings than any other type of string....
Many electro-acoustic basses are fitted with Phosphor Bronze strings by the manufacturer
My Ibanez certainly was, and several others I've seen (2 were in the shop at the same time as the Ibanez, they had PB strings on as well)
As I said earlier, a pal with exactly the same bass fitted ordinary rounds to his bass, and the Phosphor Bronze strings were considerably better....
Tonally, they just suited the bass more. They are more expensive than the more traditional type of bass string, but the difference in sound was very noticeable

Edited by Marc S

thank you Marc, so ... exept for tonal nuances which are subject to personal taste, we can consider bronze and flats an equal choice ? Like they're not a "world" apart liek roundwounds and flatwounds.

I do understand that tapewounds are the most "incline" to recreate a upright bass tone..

Hi Johnpaul, 
I've not tried PB flats - not sure I've even seen any
Yes, tonal differences are mostly nuances - but in the case of semi-acoustic basses, it's far from a nuance
There was really no comparison between the PB's and standard rounds... honestly
The sound with the PB's was much deeper, richer, and warmer - it really did sound hugely different
When comparing both our basses, if I had been told the one had strings that cost a fiver, and the other (with PB's) had strings that cost £60,
I would still have chosen the latter.... absolutely no doubt about it.... (EDIT: PB strings are quite expensive btw)

In fact, I'm pretty sure the strings were designed for acoustic basses. It's all to do with the resonance of the hollow body, and the mix with piezo pickups in the bridge - so a guitar shop owner told me...
I never did find out exactly what the strings on my Ibanez were, but the replacement strings I bought were fine, and sounded fine - they just weren't the heavier gauge I preferred for that bass....

The only drawback I found with PB strings, is that they tend to deaden fairly quickly - although laterly, I used "fret fast" guitar string cleaner to help slow this down - my mate BTW bought a PB set of strings, and still has the bass, he uses some alcohol / spirit mix to clean his strings now...
Also, the PB strings tend to make your finger-tips go a greeny sort of colour - don't worry, it does wash straight off, but it's obviously a chemical reaction with the Bronze
If you find PB flats, let me know how you get on :)

Edited by Marc S

44 minutes ago, johnpaulbass said:

Hello Matt.. thanks for the Tip. Well since I've got it from ebay I don't know. They're not flats for sure. They sound pretty decent though but I'm more incline to put flats on it I must say.

Which are the alternative for the tapwounds from D'Addario ?

i fitted these to the BEX http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=186&productname=ETB92_Tapewound_Bass__Medium__50_105__Long_Scale

the labella nylon tapes would be a good option too, i went daddario as i got a fantastic deal on them (the distribution centre is very local and my friend at the guitar shop sold them to me for only just above the trade price.)

i'm going to assume that the strings that came on it are round wound, phosphor bronze strings will also be round wound,  for me i'd go for either flatwound or tapewound depending on personal preference. chromes might be a good option too as they are on the brighter side of flats.

Matt