Why become a member? ×

AVRI 62 P

drlargepants

Basically I need to be able to adjust the string spacing better as it’s way to wide for me and the the E saddle ain’t one for being moved either. 

So fancy bridge required with same screw positions as a 62 P 

come to think of it you can’t adjust the spacing on a Bad Ass can you ?

I like to be able to tweak the spacing too
I don't think a BA will let you do that?
I find the vintage threaded saddles on an ordinary BBOT bridge let me space the strings just as I wish...
You can get a set of threaded saddles on eBay....
Not sure which high mass bridge is the best type, for allowing spacing adjustment....

I wanted to adjust spacing as well, so I bought a Hipshot Kickass (basically a slightly updated BA) as it drops right in.

Works and sounds a treat, but I thought it looked really awkward on my P, so I put it on a J. Turns out the Hipshot A Style bridge also comes in a version with Fender measurements, so I got that for the P.

I actually like it a lot better. It looks a lot less obtrusive and the string adjustment feels a little more robust.

1 minute ago, drlargepants said:

Lol :-) 

thanks for all the pointers. 

Im not sure I like the neck enough to mess around with the bridge., it’s just too big for me. 

Its a shame. It’s an incredible sounding bass. 

Big front to back or nut width?

If the latter, then that's how they were in the early 60s! I love them ;)

1 minute ago, drlargepants said:

Nut width. Big front to back I actually like. 

I think I’ve exacerbated it by putting flats on it, which I’m not that used to playing with, so at the moment it gathers dust sadly. 

Big nut width, big string spacing, stubby hands. Not a great combo. 

So it's a 45mm with flats on it? Cor. Perfect for me ;)

I've had a quick go on a avri and was impressed..

This was my bass. Bloody annoyed I sold it. If I had a full cash pot, I’d buy it back...

back to the question...

if you fit a badass or something similar, be aware that the footprint of the bridge is larger and you tighten it up - it will make dents in the nitro finish surrounding the bridge area. Once you commit to it, you’ll have to stick with it.

im off to cry.

Just now, drlargepants said:

That’s the one, micro thin frets, small radius board, silly truss road adjustment etc 

I have a 60s P obsession from listening and watching early 70s era Queen as a kid. 

I didn’t take into account my Homer Simpson hands when I bought it !

You'd be even more disappointed with a real one. My 64 is 45mm nut, slim front to back, skinny vintage frets, 7.25 radius.. 

Sounds exactly like you expect/remember though.. quite quite exquisite. 

I do understand the neck dimensions don't suit everyone tho..

3 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

You'd be even more disappointed with a real one. My 64 is 45mm nut, slim front to back, skinny vintage frets, 7.25 radius.. 

Note to self, don’t by a pre CBS P lol !

11 minutes ago, drlargepants said:

It’s the sound though really. You just can’t get that P sound with anything else. 

I play in what is basically a blues band, and the P just works so well in that environment. 

My band is Americana/rock/singer songwriter and it works just as well in that context too

10 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I've said it before, but I'm amazed at how neck dimensions seem to vary so much
I used to think there were P necks and J necks.... and that was it! How wrong was I? :)

I once owned a 70's P which was heavy as hell, and had a really wide, really deep neck
Just the other week, I went to try another 70's P, and that wasn't particularly heavy, and the neck was a tad wider than my more modern P basses, but not overly deep
I've played others which have deep necks, but are not too wide, and others which have quite wide necks that aren't overly deep.... It demonstrates that if you're a bit fussy about neck dimensions (either way) you really do need to try a bass out

BTW Bridgehouse..... lovely P bass drool...... :o

• Thanks 1