Why become a member? ×

Practice amp advice

The Twickerman

41 minutes ago, Elfrasho said:

I've always been impressed with Roland bass cubes. 

Just recently picked up a Bass Cube 30. Very impressed. Also have a lot of love for the Line 6 Studio 110. Sounds very good in a small package.

Always been intrigued by the Bass Cub, but never bitten... I remember a review here saying recorded music sounded very good through it so I'd imagine it'd work well with guitar with a preamp to add the voicing of choice.

Edited by Bigwan

Everyone has come up with a Bass amp but not guitar, here's your ideal world: why not try these? Saw one at the SW Bash and was impressed...

https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/yamaha-thr10-guitarbass-amplifier.html?source=shopping&sku=yamthr10&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkdeVhd_P1wIVS5PtCh0SaQxwEAQYAiABEgL5jfD_BwE

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 1

Thanks folks.

I've been googling and also came up with that THR10 (and variants):

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/amps_accessories/thr/index.html

Looks good (there are three that feature bass amp modelling: THR10, THR10C and THR10X).

Has anyone tried any of these?

Comments?

Edited by The Twickerman

10 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Everyone has come up with a Bass amp but not guitar, here's your ideal world: why not try these? Saw one at the SW Bash and was impressed...

https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/yamaha-thr10-guitarbass-amplifier.html?source=shopping&sku=yamthr10&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkdeVhd_P1wIVS5PtCh0SaQxwEAQYAiABEgL5jfD_BwE

Yeah that sprung to mind, but we were asked for recommendations. Not tried, or even seen the Yamaha in the flesh so I'm hardly likely to recommend it. I do have my doubts that it'll handle true bass given its size, but I'm open to being proved wrong!

1 hour ago, The Twickerman said:

I think I'll track one down and put it through its paces!

Report back!

EDIT: A quick search reveals a few Yamaha THR10 owners here and no bad comments at all...

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

I had a Markbass 801 Micromark which i always thought sounded nice for practice , was small and had a headphones socket. It handled 5 strings with ease and I even gigged at Open Mics with it, albeit with acoustic guitars. 'Mickeyboro' has it now I still think, you could shoot him a PM?

Edited by yorks5stringer

2 hours ago, The Twickerman said:

Thanks folks.

I've been googling and also came up with that THR10 (and variants):

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/amps_accessories/thr/index.html

Looks good (there are three that feature bass amp modelling: THR10, THR10C and THR10X).

Has anyone tried any of these?

Comments?

I’ve owned a THR10 in the past and currently own a PJB Double Four. As far as handling bass, the PJB wins as it’s been designed from the ground up as a bass amp and will deliver a deeper fuller sound with more volume, all the way down to the low B. The THR10, while lovely, is a guitar amp first and a bass amp second. The THR does have amp modelling, built in effects, a tuner and a USB Audio interface though which may be something to consider. 

If you have effects/preamp pedals then get the Double Four and don’t look back. Equally, if you play 5 string or use octavers the Double Four is by far the better option. The Double Four could handle low volume acoustic jams with greater authority. If none of the above applies to you then the decision isn’t so clear cut.

• Like 1

I have a THR10, which I use for both guitar and bass. I like it very much for bass. The drivers, though tiny, have HUGE magnets, and it can get surprisingly loud without distorting.

There are various "filter mods" you can do (look YouTube or Gear Page) which change the EQ for the better with guitar, cutting treble a bit.

This mod makes it great in my estimation, because I HATE too much treble.

I would seriously consider a THR10 if I were looking for a neat, compact, well made practice amp for both guitar and bass.

• Like 1

Thanks folks. Excellent comments. 

I'll pop into GAK on Saturday and give the THR10 a try. I don't want a loud amp - I just want something that handles both guitar and bass and sounds nice for low-volume home practice. Whatever I choose, I will be playing it with a 5-string bass, as well as 8-string, regular guitar and 12-string guitar.

Some of the extra features of the Yamaha may be useful too.

I'll report back!

Edited by The Twickerman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Twickerman said:

Thanks folks. Excellent comments. 

I'll pop into GAK on Saturday and give the THR10 a try. I don't want a loud amp - I just want something that handles both guitar and bass and sounds nice for low-volume home practice. Whatever I choose, I will be playing it with a 5-string bass, as well as 8-string, regular guitar and 12-string guitar.

Some of the extra features of the Yamaha may be useful too.

I'll report back!

The THR10 sounds lovely but will struggle to reproduce the low end of your 5 string. It won’t necessarily distort but you just won’t really hear it!

On 11/23/2017 at 12:23, CameronJ said:

The THR10 sounds lovely but will struggle to reproduce the low end of your 5 string. It won’t necessarily distort but you just won’t really hear it!

Indeed!

It didn't really go that low (of course) - but it was more than adequate in all other departments.

Very simple to use. Not many sounds - but fun. And - crucially - more than adequate with BOTH bass AND guitar.

Thanks folks, for the suggestions.

- Nick.

Edited by The Twickerman

That said, I have decided to stick with my current solution (at least for now): a Line 6 AMPLIFi TT which is plugged directly into the stereo.

I've discovered that, despite it having no dedicated bass amps, there's a large 15" speaker model, very extensive EQ and FX options and - with a little effort - I've been able to program some half decent bass tones.

Edited by The Twickerman

• 4 years later...

Thanks. I should add that usage is primarily for practice - guitar and bass, but also as a recording interface. 

For practicing it needs built-in effects (reverb, fuzz, delay, phaser...) and programmable presets.

The Positive Grid Spark looks good - but lack of a desktop PC app for programming is a severe issue.

A desktop unit is much preferred... like the THR-10 - but more reliable!

Edited by The Twickerman