Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.12, Saturday 29th September 2018!

Hamster

Here's the thing, none of those amps sounded bad. Some of the 'baked-in' tones might not be as preferable as others, but nothing sounded bad, due in no small part to a classy cabinet. Likewise with the blind bass test, nothing was bad, just small variations on a theme. A real eye opener on both fronts.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Here's the thing, none of those amps sounded bad. Some of the 'baked-in' tones might not be as preferable as others, but nothing sounded bad, due in no small part to a classy cabinet.

This ^^ . And of course the ''flat' tone may not indeed be flat on some of the amps as they each have their own voicing. I'm sure most of them could be made to sound like each other with some simple EQ-ing if required.....

One of my fave things about the bash was hearing the range of tones we can all produce...... from Nancy Johnson's gnarly rock tone to Frank Black's beautiful double bass style fretless tone to OBBM's traditional warm tone to Richard Searle's muted picked tone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, cetera said:

This ^^ . And of course the ''flat' tone may not indeed be flat on some of the amps as they each have their own voicing. I'm sure most of them could be made to sound like each other with some simple EQ-ing if required.....

One of my fave things about the bash was hearing the range of tones we can all produce...... from Nancy Johnson's gnarly rock tone to Frank Black's beautiful double bass style fretless tone to OBBM's traditional warm tone to Richard Searle's muted picked tone.

Where do I have to send that cheque to again?

😂

• Haha 3

Just to recap (for anyone reading) concerning the Bass Shootout, which featured fifteen different basses.

I reckon 20-25 of us made it into the room to listen to Gary playing a now all too familiar riff from Carry On, Wayward Son by Kansas, not once, but twice, all the while behind a heavy stage curtain.  It doesn't get any better, huh?  From memory, the highest recognition score was 4/15 and there were a few zeros too (which is kind of alarming given my late mother could have identified a Rickenbacker).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I reckon 20-25 of us made it into the room to listen to Gary playing a now all too familiar riff from Carry On, Wayward Son by Kansas, not once, but twice, all the while behind a heavy stage curtain.  It doesn't get any better, huh?

Indeed....... lol!!! You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky b*stards..... ;) 😂

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Just to recap (for anyone reading) concerning the Bass Shootout, which featured fifteen different basses.

I reckon 20-25 of us made it into the room to listen to Gary playing a now all too familiar riff from Carry On, Wayward Son by Kansas, not once, but twice, all the while behind a heavy stage curtain.  It doesn't get any better, huh?  From memory, the highest recognition score was 4/15 and there were a few zeros too (which is kind of alarming given my late mother could have identified a Rickenbacker).

Well, I only half identified MY OWN Rickenbacker!

(In my defence, I can’t remember the last time I plugged it in...)(before the show). 

He did want to skip that whole episode, but sod that, they were fun in an era that was so up it's own @rse.

I've caught them accidentally at a few festivals over the years and they're still fun... surely that's as valid as anything else?

On 02/10/2018 at 10:55, cetera said:

Indeed. Don't think there was a Hartke LH in the test, but reading the manual for the LH500 I had (until the Bash) 12 o'clock on the BM&T is in fact a smiley scoop sound

On 30/09/2018 at 11:31, silverfoxnik said:

The bass tone test was fascinating I thought and if there is a conclusion to be drawn from it, it's probably that you've just got to play the basses that feel & sound right to you because - to almost every one else who hears your beloved bass (through your beloved rig)  - it's going to sound the same as the next bass that comes along. The only really important difference will be your musicianship I guess...

I've thought this for years. No matter what bass I play through what rig, I always sound like me. Hasn't stopped me going through thirty-plus amps/cab combinations and close to 80 basses though

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:20, MoJo said:

I've thought this for years. No matter what bass I play through what rig, I always sound like me. Hasn't stopped me going through thirty-plus amps/cab combinations and close to 80 basses though

So true. For some reason I always end up sounding like me and not Jaco, no matter how many times I go back to the shop.........